public inbox for rhug-rhats@sourceware.org
* versions of sub-projects custumised for gcj
@ 2002-12-21  8:25 Christophe Roux
From: Christophe Roux @ 2002-12-21  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

I ave been usig RHUG for more than 6 monthes.
I downloaded RHUG 6 monthes ago, and after that I never downloaded it again.
There is a simple reason : RHUG evolves.
The Rhug that can be downloaded now uses versions of softwares more recent
than six monthes ago.
I delivered 2 versions of my software, WebMiel, during that period;
each time I did that, I said use it with GCJ and RHUG.
But is RHUG still compatible with my program as it uses more recent versions
of sub programs?
I don't know; so I would like to say :
with WebMiel2.2 use Rhug 10/10/2002 or
with WebMiel2.3 use Rhug 11/11/2002.
In fact, I am asking, is it possible to forzen different versions of Rhug in
order that users can choose the versions of what is in ?
Thanks
Christophe

* Re: versions of sub-projects custumised for gcj
@ 2002-12-22  8:57 ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2002-12-22  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Roux; +Cc: rhug-rhats

On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 10:32, Christophe Roux wrote:
> The Rhug that can be downloaded now uses versions of softwares more recent
> than six monthes ago.

Yes, I just upgraded xerces but it requires changes to GCC I just
checked in a few minutes ago...

> In fact, I am asking, is it possible to forzen different versions of Rhug in
> order that users can choose the versions of what is in ?

Yes, I agree we should do that.  To date, rhug has been a fun experiment
and has been useful for driving a lot of quality into gcj/libgcj.  But
clearly the resulting packages are useful on their own as well.   I use
rhino/pgsql-jdbc a fair bit, for instance.

My suggestion is that we aim for a frozen rhug "release" that works with
GCC 3.3, which is supposed to be released in mid-February.  We should
get Tomcat4 working for this release.

Gary - how many more packages are required for Tomcat4?

AG

* Re: versions of sub-projects custumised for gcj
@ 2002-12-23  2:17   ` Gary Benson
From: Gary Benson @ 2002-12-23  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 08:59:21AM -0800, Anthony Green wrote:

> My suggestion is that we aim for a frozen rhug "release" that works
> with GCC 3.3, which is supposed to be released in mid-February.  We
> should get Tomcat4 working for this release.
>
> Gary - how many more packages are required for Tomcat4?

None, I'm just working my way through the errors until it works :)

Actually, I have quite a lot of uncommitted stuff right now, which
makes me a little uneasy.  Would it be worth me importing my stuff as
jakarta-servletapi-4 and jakarta-tomcat-4 (or similar)?  It would
allow others to play around with what I've done without trashing the
current, working, jakarta-tomcat and jakarta-servletapi packages,

Cheers,
Gary

[ gbenson@redhat.com ][ GnuPG 85A8F78B ][ http://inauspicious.org/ ]

* Re: versions of sub-projects custumised for gcj
@ 2002-12-23  8:14     ` Gary Benson
From: Gary Benson @ 2002-12-23  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

----- Forwarded message from Christophe Roux <ch_roux@club-internet.fr> -----
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:44:41 +0100
From: Christophe Roux <ch_roux@club-internet.fr>
To: Gary Benson <gbenson@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: versions of sub-projects custumised for gcj

On Monday 23 December 2002 11:16, you wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 08:59:21AM -0800, Anthony Green wrote:
> > My suggestion is that we aim for a frozen rhug "release" that works
> > with GCC 3.3, which is supposed to be released in mid-February.  We
> > should get Tomcat4 working for this release.
> >
> > Gary - how many more packages are required for Tomcat4?
>
> None, I'm just working my way through the errors until it works :)
>
> Actually, I have quite a lot of uncommitted stuff right now, which
> makes me a little uneasy.  Would it be worth me importing my stuff as
> jakarta-servletapi-4 and jakarta-tomcat-4 (or similar)?  It would
> allow others to play around with what I've done without trashing the
> current, working, jakarta-tomcat and jakarta-servletapi packages,
>
> Cheers,
> Gary
>
> [ gbenson@redhat.com ][ GnuPG 85A8F78B ][ http://inauspicious.org/ ]
I say a little word, because I agree with Gary :
Between 3.2.3 and 4.0 Tomcat has changed of servlet version from 2.2 to 2.3,
so it is important to keep the two separate, in order not to have to modify
older applications.

@ 2002-12-23  8:33     ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2002-12-23  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Benson; +Cc: rhug-rhats

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 02:16, Gary Benson wrote:
> Actually, I have quite a lot of uncommitted stuff right now, which
> makes me a little uneasy.  Would it be worth me importing my stuff as
> jakarta-servletapi-4 and jakarta-tomcat-4 (or similar)?  It would
> allow others to play around with what I've done without trashing the
> current, working, jakarta-tomcat and jakarta-servletapi packages,

Yes, this makes sense to me.

Thanks,

AG