public inbox for rhug-rhats@sourceware.org
* rhug status
@ 2003-09-07 18:18 Bart Locanthi
From: Bart Locanthi @ 2003-09-07 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

how up to date is all this?

i tried making xalan and 1) had to hack the Makefile to tell gcj to scan
apache-regexp, and 2) whether i use the [hacked] libtool-1.4e or the
current libtool-1.4.3 i get a link error:

libtool: link:
`upstream/src/org/apache/xalan/res/XSLTInfo.properties.lo' is not a
valid libtool object
make[1]: *** [lib-org-apache-xalan.la] Error 1

the top-level make appears broken as well. it almost immediately fails,
attempting to build gnu.readline:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/bart/java/rhug/gnu.readline'
(cd upstream/src; for x in `find ./ -name \*.class`; do gcjh `echo $x |
sed "s/\.\///g" | sed "s/.class//g"`; done;)
org/gnu/readline/Readline: no such class
org/gnu/readline/ReadlineCompleter: no such class
org/gnu/readline/ReadlineReader: no such class
org/gnu/readline/ReadlineLibrary: no such class
make[1]: *** [gnu.readline-0.6.jar] Error 1

i'm using gcc-3.3.1 on RH9.

* rhug status
@ 2001-09-18 12:25 Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2001-09-18 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

Alex asked me to summarize where we are, and what needs to still be done...

* Everything _should_ build out of the box with the latest gcj
tools/libraries.  I was twiddling with dependencies recently, and just fixed a
bug Per found.

* xsltp/xsltc from Xalan work nicely.

* `make check' needs to be implemented where appropriate.

* Tomcat runs once you copy the webapps directory in the right place. (and
`make install' needs to be finished for this)

* Not all of the servlets run properly (the last two examples - session and
cookie).  This needs to be debugged.

* JSP doesn't work yet.  I've introduced a stub for GnuCompiler.java.  It
needs to generate a shared library.

Those are the critical items.

Tomcat 4 was just released.  Upgrading would also be nice - but it seems like
we're so close with 3.2.3, let's just figure out the JSP bits and get the rest
of the example Servlets working.

libgcj needs SSL support for secure communications.  I started implementing
the pure java bits a couple of months ago.  I figure the smart thing to do is
simply wrap up OpenSSL.

Per suggested building all of the .java files in one compile line for each
library.  This seems like a good idea, although I don't know how it would
interact with libtool.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

AG

* rhug status
@ 2001-09-03 23:42 Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2001-09-03 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats; +Cc: Java@Gcc. Gnu. Org

I did some hacking on http://sources.redhat.com/rhug this weekend.

* The most exciting thing was getting output from Tomcat.  This is a big
program that excercises a lot of code, including xerces.  It appears to serve
up static pages ok.  Attempting to run a servlet from a .class file results in
a NullPointerException from
javax.servlet.GenericServlet.log(java.lang.String) -- although it kindly
reports this in a nice web page and continues running. It looks like it's
creating the appropriate log files, but never writes anything to them.  For
the Red Hat guys, I've left the server up tonight at
http://fencer.cygnus.com:8080/examples .

* Switched to automake 1.5.

* I spend a fair bit of time hacking on the gnu.regexp configury, trying to
figure out the best way to build, and install the .so, .jar, headers, etc.
There's a primitive "make check" as well.

* I added some of the Xerces sample programs to check_PROGRAMS, and they run
fine by hand.  Getting them to run with "make check" is next.

* Xalan builds and says semi-intelligent stuff now.  It builds two command
line programs (xsltc and xsltp).

The "gcj -R" patches I submitted this weekend are used throughout the tree.
Tomcat also requires the iso8859_1 runtime patch.

There are about 12 Makefile.in files adding up to almost 6MB!  The largest,
rhug/xalan/Makefile.in, is about 1.9MB.

It would be great to get some help.  Just check it out and try building...

Thanks!

AG