public inbox for rhug-rhats@sourceware.org
* rhug and gcc 3.3
@ 2003-05-15  5:11 Stefan Seefeld
From: Stefan Seefeld @ 2003-05-15  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

hi there,

I'm trying to build rhug with today's release
of gcc 3.3, with mixed success.

I'v close to no experience with gcj, and only
very limitted exposure to java, so please bear
with me.

One thing I noted is that the construct

(cd upstream/src; for x in `find ./ -name \*.class`; do $(GCJH) `echo $$x | sed "s/\.\///g" | sed
"s/.class//g"`; done;)

that is being used in quite a number (if not all) Makefiles,
often fails with an error message indicating that the respective
class couldn't be found. Inserting a simple '--classpath=.' solves
that.

Further, I list some package-specific errors:

jython: compile error
=====================

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/stefan/rhug/jython'
here=`pwd`; cd ./upstream/src/Lib; gcj -I.. -d $here/upstream/src/Lib -C -fno-assert
--encoding=8859_1 jxxload_help/PackageManager.java
jxxload_help/PackageManager.java:7: error: Type `JavaLoaderFactory' not found in declaration of
field `factory'.
        private JavaLoaderFactory factory;
                ^
jxxload_help/PackageManager.java:24: error: Type `JavaLoaderFactory' not found in the declaration of
the argument `factory' of method `<init>'.
        public PackageManager(org.python.core.PyList path,JavaLoaderFactory factory) {
                                                          ^
2 errors

jakarta-tomcat: link error
==========================
lib-org-apache-xerces.so: undefined reference to `org::apache::xml::serialize::DOMWriterImpl::class$'

jakarta-log4j: link error
=========================
same...

Finally, I ran 'make clean' in xerces, when I discovered
that some errors got ignored (possibly leading to the
missing symbols above), and ran 'make' again, this time
with a fixed Makefile (added classpath...).
This time the link failed due to a libtool error, i.e.
some .lo files weren't found. No idea why they were
generated the first time.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to be able to use all your nice
work. My goal is to get jacORB compiled and running with gcj,
so I can write CORBA clients using jacORB for my own project
(Fresco).

Kind regards,
		Stefan

* Re: rhug and gcc 3.3
@ 2003-05-15  8:57 ` Gary Benson
From: Gary Benson @ 2003-05-15  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> jakarta-tomcat: link error
> ==========================
> lib-org-apache-xerces.so: undefined reference to
> `org::apache::xml::serialize::DOMWriterImpl::class$'
>
> jakarta-log4j: link error
> =========================
> same...

I don't know about the others, but these two are because some of the
xerces libraries are not linked properly (they can't be, as there is a
circular dependency).  The workaround is to add:

  -l-org-apache-xerces -l-org-apache-xml-serialize

to the LDADD line for the binary (see jakarta-ant and jakarta-tomcat-4
for example).  For the record, xalan is like this too, so packages
linking to xalan need:

  -l-org-apache-xalan -l-org-apache-xml -l-org-apache-xpath

Later,
Gary

[ gbenson@redhat.com ][ GnuPG 85A8F78B ][ http://inauspicious.org/ ]