public inbox for rhug-rhats@sourceware.org
* jasmin
@ 2002-01-30 12:41 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-01-30 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

I've imported Jasmin into rhug.  Jasmin is a bytecode assembler.  I'm
using it for writing test code, in Mauve, for the libgcj bytecode
verifier.

Tom

* Re: jasmin
@ 2002-01-30 12:47 ` Alexandre Petit-Bianco
From: Alexandre Petit-Bianco @ 2002-01-30 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: rhug-rhats

Tom Tromey writes:

> I've imported Jasmin into rhug.

Excellent! My favorite app. Does it come with Java source code? I
thought it what written in bytecode assembly and built with Jasmin.

./A

* Re: jasmin
@ 2002-01-30 12:52 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2002-01-30 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: rhug-rhats

Tom Tromey wrote:
> I've imported Jasmin into rhug.  Jasmin is a bytecode assembler.  I'm
> using it for writing test code, in Mauve, for the libgcj bytecode
> verifier.

Bad-byte-code tests should IMO be run though both the
compile-time verifier and the run-time verifier.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: jasmin
@ 2002-01-30 13:06   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-01-30 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: rhug-rhats

Tom> I've imported Jasmin into rhug.  Jasmin is a bytecode assembler.  I'm
Tom> using it for writing test code, in Mauve, for the libgcj bytecode
Tom> verifier.

Per> Bad-byte-code tests should IMO be run though both the
Per> compile-time verifier and the run-time verifier.

I agree.  In fact, I've run the tests (all two of them) through
`java', `gcj --syntax--only', and `gij'.  One that I think ought to
pass (an obscure case involving jsr-without-ret) doesn't verify with
gcj; I'll submit a PR at some point.

Tom

* Re: jasmin
@ 2002-01-30 13:06   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2002-01-30 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: apbianco; +Cc: rhug-rhats

Alex> Excellent! My favorite app. Does it come with Java source code?
Alex> I thought it what written in bytecode assembly and built with
Alex> Jasmin.

Nope, it is Java source.  I had to hack it a bit so that it didn't
depend on Sun classes.  Also Jasmin includes its own version of CUP; I
tried briefly to get it to use the CUP already in rhug but it didn't
immediately work so I abandoned the effort.

Tom

* Re: jasmin
@ 2002-01-30 13:22     ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2002-01-30 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: apbianco, rhug-rhats

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Alex> Excellent! My favorite app. Does it come with Java source code?
> Alex> I thought it what written in bytecode assembly and built with
> Alex> Jasmin.
>
> Nope, it is Java source.  I had to hack it a bit so that it didn't
> depend on Sun classes.  Also Jasmin includes its own version of CUP; I
> tried briefly to get it to use the CUP already in rhug but it didn't
> immediately work so I abandoned the effort.

I've thought about writing a bytecode assembler on top of gnu.bytecode,
but never got around to it.  Except for parsing the input file, and
calling the appropraite action for each opcode, gnu.bytecode does have
everything needed, and is probably more efficient.

Of course with my bias against parser-generators, I'd never use CUP
--
	--Per Bothner