public inbox for rhug-rhats@sourceware.org
* Eclipse java compiler
@ 2003-07-18 20:16 Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2003-07-18 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats, java

Just FYI, I've added "ecj" to the rhug tree[1].  This is the java
bytecode compiler extracted from Eclipse[2].

It's really fast.  Faster-than-jikes fast.

I've also placed RHL9 RPMS and a source-ball up for ftp[3].

ecj currently requires the latest GCC developement sources to build and
run.

[1] http://sources.redhat.com/rhug
[2] http://www.eclipse.org
[3] ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/rhug/ecj

--
Anthony Green <green@redhat.com>
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Eclipse java compiler
@ 2003-07-20  0:37 ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2003-07-20  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats, java

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 13:16, Anthony Green wrote:
> Just FYI, I've added "ecj" to the rhug tree[1].  This is the java
> bytecode compiler extracted from Eclipse[2].

I just committed a few build fixes and uploaded new files for ftp.

> It's really fast.  Faster-than-jikes fast.

I tried building libgcj with this by simply running

$ make JAVAC=ecj

It found a few libgcj bugs, for which I'll submit patches.  In the end
it shaved 5 minutes off my libgcj.jar build (2m19s vs 7m20s).

AG

--

@ 2003-07-21  2:09   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2003-07-21  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Green; +Cc: rhug-rhats, java

Anthony> I tried building libgcj with this by simply running
Anthony> $ make JAVAC=ecj
Anthony> It found a few libgcj bugs, for which I'll submit patches.
Anthony> In the end it shaved 5 minutes off my libgcj.jar build (2m19s
Anthony> vs 7m20s).

Wow, cool.

Another thing to time is building Classpath with it, jikes, and gcj.
Classpath shouldn't have any of the bugs that libgcj does (at least,
jikes let it through last night...).

Tom