public inbox for rhug-rhats@sourceware.org
* Re: rhug/commons-beanutils ChangeLog configure con ...
       [not found] <20030130021210.6795.qmail@sources.redhat.com>
@ 2003-01-30 10:16 ` Gary Benson
From: Gary Benson @ 2003-01-30 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

tromey@sources.redhat.com wrote:
> 	* configure: Rebuilt.
> 	* configure.in (RHUGLIBDIRS): Added $srcdir.

What does this fix?

* Re: rhug/commons-beanutils ChangeLog configure con ...
@ 2003-01-30 16:42   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2003-01-30 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Benson; +Cc: rhug-rhats

>> * configure: Rebuilt.
>> * configure.in (RHUGLIBDIRS): Added $srcdir.

Gary> What does this fix?

Building with srcdir != builddir.

Tom

* Re: rhug/commons-beanutils ChangeLog configure con ...
@ 2003-01-30 16:46     ` Gary Benson
From: Gary Benson @ 2003-01-30 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhug-rhats

Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> * configure: Rebuilt.
> >> * configure.in (RHUGLIBDIRS): Added $srcdir.
>
> Gary> What does this fix?
>
> Building with srcdir != builddir.

Aha.  By the way, why do the gcc folks recommend doing that?

Cheers,
Gary

[ gbenson@redhat.com ][ GnuPG 85A8F78B ][ http://inauspicious.org/ ]

* Re: rhug/commons-beanutils ChangeLog configure con ...
@ 2003-01-30 17:04       ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2003-01-30 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Benson; +Cc: rhug-rhats

Gary> Aha.  By the way, why do the gcc folks recommend doing that?

gcc has historically had bugs building in place.  Partly that's
because gcc has to do weird things no other package does.

I've gotten into the habit of doing it because I can delete the build
tree with a simple `rm -rf'.  Also, I have a script I use to automate
most builds, and it works this way, so I notice when it stops working.

Tom

* Re: rhug/commons-beanutils ChangeLog configure con ...
@ 2003-01-30 21:44         ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2003-01-30 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Gary Benson, rhug-rhats

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 08:56, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Gary> Aha.  By the way, why do the gcc folks recommend doing that?

Also because we like to build multiple toolchains from the same sources
(targeting different processors, for instance).

AG