public inbox for sid@sourceware.org
From: Robert Shideleff <bigbob@shideleff.com>
To: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com>
Cc: sid@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: GDB/mapper cache problems
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:35:00 -0000	[thread overview]

It didn't work. (I had already tried it before I sent the last email.) It was
fairly easy to whip up a custom bus passthrough device to do the translation.
This seems like a good wish list item in the 'glue' category: A full featured
configurable bus resizer. This should probably support endian swapping as
well. I guess the mapper could be extended to support this, but it would
require some complicated attribute setups. I got a little lost in the
mapper's implementation when I looked at it.

I now have a reasonably full application running in simulation on two arm
processors communicating via a shared ram. It runs at something like 100
times real time, which is WAY better than the RTL simulations I was working
with. It took about 6 days of total effort on my part, and I had to write 3
or 4 custom devices to match our proprietary hardware, which I didn't find
hard to do, but some more detailed docs on the short cuts available in all of
the utility header files would have cut a day or two out of my effort.

One of those devices I implemented is a trap filter to cause one of the arm7's
to more closely emulate the coprocessor instructions available on an arm9. It
works by basically taking any illegal instruction trap and telling the
processor to simply skip the instruction. Any other trap it passes to its
downstream connection. So another wish list item for me is arm9 emulation.

On the whole, this is a pretty cool/useful project for me. It's unfortunate
that the total population of people who would make use of something like this
is probably pretty small. (Compared to other main stream projects like
Mozilla or KDE.) Still the code base is pretty complete and useful in its
current state.

Thanks for your help. I'll be submitting the amdcfi device I wrote as soon as
I can prove that it works in all modes. (I only use it in 16 bit mode in our
sim.)

Bob