public inbox for sid@sourceware.org
* Patch: Remove src/blt, src/iwidgets, src/mmalloc directories
@ 2006-04-20 15:24 Steve Ellcey
From: Steve Ellcey @ 2006-04-20 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils, gdb, insight, sid

I have discussed the idea of removing src/blt, src/iwidgets, and
src/mmalloc in all the email lists that I am sending this patch request
to and have not gotten any negative comments about removing these
directories.  I also contacted overseers@sourceware.org and checked with
them but all they had to say was that it was an issue for the normal
checkin process and email list discussion.

It does not appear that iwidgets or blt subdirs ever shipped with a src
based product delivery, there are no gdb, insight, newlib, or sim tags
on the files in these directories.  The mmalloc directory does have gdb
tags on the files though my understanding is that it has not been used
for quite a while even though it was getting tagged and packaged with
the gdb sources.

So here is an official patch request to remove these directories.  I
have write access to the cvs tree and could checkin this patch if it is
approved but I am actually hoping that someone with more cvs experience
would be willing to do the checkin since I have never removed files from
CVS before (much less an entire subtree).

So, anyone want to approve this toplevel source tree patch?  And perhaps
do the necessary checkin/remove too.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com

2006-04-20  Steve Ellcey  <sje@cup.hp.com>

	* mmalloc: Remove.
	* iwidgets: Remove.
	* blt: Remove.

* RE: Patch: Remove src/blt, src/iwidgets, src/mmalloc directories
@ 2006-04-20 16:00 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-04-20 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sje, binutils, gdb, insight, sid

On 20 April 2006 16:25, Steve Ellcey wrote:

> approved but I am actually hoping that someone with more cvs experience
> would be willing to do the checkin since I have never removed files from
> CVS before (much less an entire subtree).

  There's nothing too tricky about it:

cvs rm -f mmalloc iwidgets blt

  Then when you're certain nothing's borked

cvs ci mmalloc iwidgets blt

to commit the changes, as per usual.

  BTW, do you need to check over the CVSROOT files and make sure these dirs
aren't still referenced by e.g. 'modules' or any of the other administrative
files?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Patch: Remove src/blt, src/iwidgets, src/mmalloc directories
@ 2006-04-20 16:29   ` Steve Ellcey
From: Steve Ellcey @ 2006-04-20 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave.korn; +Cc: binutils, gdb, insight, sid

>   BTW, do you need to check over the CVSROOT files and make sure these dirs
> aren't still referenced by e.g. 'modules' or any of the other administrative
> files?
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK

This certainly seems like a good idea but, not being a CVS expert, I am
not sure how to do it.  Where are these CVSROOT files?  I don't see them
in my checked out src tree or in the web based src tree viewer.  Can
they be seen without logging on to sourceware.org?  If not, then I don't
think that I can check them since I don't think CVS write permission
comes with sourceware.org login permission.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com

* Re: Patch: Remove src/blt, src/iwidgets, src/mmalloc directories
@ 2006-04-20 16:35     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-04-20 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Ellcey; +Cc: dave.korn, binutils, gdb, insight, sid

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:28:54AM -0700, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> >   BTW, do you need to check over the CVSROOT files and make sure these dirs
> > aren't still referenced by e.g. 'modules' or any of the other administrative
> > files?

Removing them breaks checking out old versions, sometimes.  But for
these particular directories I'm inclined to agree.  Please leave the
version in old-gdb.

> This certainly seems like a good idea but, not being a CVS expert, I am
> not sure how to do it.  Where are these CVSROOT files?  I don't see them
> in my checked out src tree or in the web based src tree viewer.  Can
> they be seen without logging on to sourceware.org?  If not, then I don't
> think that I can check them since I don't think CVS write permission
> comes with sourceware.org login permission.

Check out the module "CVSROOT" from the same path you check out src.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* RE: Patch: Remove src/blt, src/iwidgets, src/mmalloc directories
@ 2006-04-20 16:36     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-04-20 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Steve Ellcey'; +Cc: binutils, gdb, insight, sid

On 20 April 2006 17:29, Steve Ellcey wrote:

>>   BTW, do you need to check over the CVSROOT files and make sure these dirs
>> aren't still referenced by e.g. 'modules' or any of the other
>> administrative files?
>>
>>     cheers,
>>       DaveK
>
> This certainly seems like a good idea but, not being a CVS expert, I am
> not sure how to do it.  Where are these CVSROOT files?

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/CVSROOT/?cvsroot=src

  They basically count as a top-level module all of their own.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Patch: Remove src/blt, src/iwidgets, src/mmalloc directories
@ 2006-04-25 19:46       ` Steve Ellcey
From: Steve Ellcey @ 2006-04-25 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave.korn, drow, binutils, gdb, insight, sid

Here is an additional patch to add to my earlier patch that removes the
blt, iwidgets, and mmalloc directories.  It change the CVSROOT/modules
file to remove iwidgets and blt from the all-naked-tcl key and to remove
mmalloc from the sid key.  I left mmalloc under the old-gdb entry, it
had already been removed from the regular gdb entry.

OK to check in?  How about the original patch to remove the directories?
I am still looking for approval of that patch too.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com

2006-04-25  Steve Ellcey  <sje@cup.hp.com>

	* CVSROOT/modules (all-naked-tcl): Remove naked-iwidgets and naked-blt.
	(sim): Remove naked-mmalloc

*** modules.orig	Tue Apr 25 09:45:16 2006
--- modules	Tue Apr 25 09:46:00 2006
*************** naked-blt	-a src/blt
*** 101,107 ****

  naked-iwidgets	-a src/iwidgets

! all-naked-tcl   -a naked-tcl naked-tk naked-itcl naked-iwidgets naked-blt
  all-tcl		-a all-naked-tcl src-support

  naked-readline	-a src/readline
--- 101,107 ----

  naked-iwidgets	-a src/iwidgets

! all-naked-tcl   -a naked-tcl naked-tk naked-itcl
  all-tcl		-a all-naked-tcl src-support

  naked-readline	-a src/readline
*************** dejagnu		-a naked-dejagnu naked-expect n
*** 126,132 ****
  # omit sim/sh64 for now.
  naked-sim	-a !src/sim/sh64 !src/sim/testsuite/sim/sh64 src/sim
  sim		-a naked-sim naked-bfd naked-opcodes \
! 		naked-libiberty naked-mmalloc naked-include \
  		src-support naked-intl

  # OLD-GDB contains everything that ever was in GDB.  It can be used to
--- 126,132 ----
  # omit sim/sh64 for now.
  naked-sim	-a !src/sim/sh64 !src/sim/testsuite/sim/sh64 src/sim
  sim		-a naked-sim naked-bfd naked-opcodes \
! 		naked-libiberty naked-include \

@ 2006-04-25 19:56         ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-04-25 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Ellcey; +Cc: dave.korn, binutils, gdb, insight, sid

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 12:45:55PM -0700, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> Here is an additional patch to add to my earlier patch that removes the
> blt, iwidgets, and mmalloc directories.  It change the CVSROOT/modules
> file to remove iwidgets and blt from the all-naked-tcl key and to remove
> mmalloc from the sid key.  I left mmalloc under the old-gdb entry, it
> had already been removed from the regular gdb entry.
>
> OK to check in?  How about the original patch to remove the directories?
> I am still looking for approval of that patch too.

> 2006-04-25  Steve Ellcey  <sje@cup.hp.com>
>
> 	* CVSROOT/modules (all-naked-tcl): Remove naked-iwidgets and naked-blt.
> 	(sim): Remove naked-mmalloc

Careful of formatting: period at the end of the second line, wrapping
in the last column of the first line.

I think this patch is right, and the original patch to remove the
directories is fine.  Does anyone object?  Steve, would you still like
someone else to handle the CVS gruntwork?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: Patch: Remove src/blt, src/iwidgets, src/mmalloc directories
@ 2006-04-25 20:02           ` Steve Ellcey
From: Steve Ellcey @ 2006-04-25 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drow; +Cc: dave.korn, binutils, gdb, insight, sid

> I think this patch is right, and the original patch to remove the
> directories is fine.  Does anyone object?  Steve, would you still like
> someone else to handle the CVS gruntwork?

It would be great if you or someone else is willing to do the CVS
guntwork.  I get very nervous when deleting things.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com

* Re: Patch: Remove src/blt, src/iwidgets, src/mmalloc directories
@ 2006-05-04 15:12             ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-05-04 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Ellcey; +Cc: dave.korn, binutils, gdb, insight, sid

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 01:02:49PM -0700, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> > I think this patch is right, and the original patch to remove the
> > directories is fine.  Does anyone object?  Steve, would you still like
> > someone else to handle the CVS gruntwork?
>
> It would be great if you or someone else is willing to do the CVS
> guntwork.  I get very nervous when deleting things.

I have done this, including the modules file and directories.  If
someone notices a problem, please holler.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery