public inbox for sid@sourceware.org
* endian attribute: setting or register?
@ 2001-05-30 21:50 Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2001-05-30 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sid

The current base cpu classes include an "endian" attribute -- it's
currently added as a "register" type attribute.  Should it be a
"setting" instead?  That would make more sense -- and by changing it,
we save valuable real estate in tksm's gui for the multitide of
physical cpu registers that may be listed.  Comments?

Ben

* Re: endian attribute: setting or register?
@ 2001-05-31  3:44 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2001-05-31  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: sid

Hi -

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 02:49:03PM +1000, Ben Elliston wrote:
: The current base cpu classes include an "endian" attribute -- it's
: currently added as a "register" type attribute.  Should it be a
: "setting" instead?

Yes and no: some CPUs can switch endianness on the fly.

: [...] by changing it, we save valuable real estate in
: tksm's gui for the multitide of physical cpu registers
: that may be listed.  [...]

tksm should be smarter about the layout of the attribute list windows.

- FChE
--

* Re: endian attribute: setting or register?
@ 2001-05-31  8:35   ` Mark Douglas
From: Mark Douglas @ 2001-05-31  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Ben Elliston, sid

wouldn't it make more sense just to read the configuration reg that identifies
the endianess and then behave appropriately?
Mark

@ 2001-05-31  8:39     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2001-05-31  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Douglas; +Cc: sid

Hi -

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 08:39:28AM -0700, Mark Douglas wrote:
: wouldn't it make more sense just to read the configuration reg that
: identifies the endianess and then behave appropriately?

Yes, this is how it works for endian-switcheroo architectures.
In most cases, the desired endianness may be configured at
sid startup/reset time.  Ben's comment was only about how
to classify the endianness parameter in the tksm GUI
(regardless how it was acquired or related to hardware
control registers).

- FChE
--

* Re: endian attribute: setting or register?
@ 2001-05-31  8:41       ` Mark Douglas
From: Mark Douglas @ 2001-05-31  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: sid

Sorry... just trying to "stick with this" conceptually.
Mark