public inbox for sid@sourceware.org
From: Dave Brolley <brolley@redhat.com>
To: Steve Woloschek <steve@zbuda.com>
Cc: sid@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Trouble adding additional CPU support
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:51:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Steve Woloschek wrote:
> I have written a new processor description with cgen and I am trying to
> update sid to incorporate the new processor.
>
> I have perused the configure.* and Makefile.* files to understand what
> changes I need to make in order have the new processor built.
> Unfortunately I am not an expert in autoconf and automake and every time
> I attempt to rebuild the configure/Makefiles I run into multiple issues.
>
> 1) I am not entirely sure which configure.* and Makefile.* need to be
> updated to add a new processor.
> 2) Lack of understanding how to rebuild configure scripts and Makefiles

When creating a new port, I generally pick an existing one that has
similar capabilities and clone it. That is, I find every instance where
it is mentioned in a file or a file name and copy the file/code while
changing only the name of the port. You end up with a new port for your
architecture which behaves like the port you cloned. I then rip out the
guts of the cloned code and replace with the details of my new processor.
> When trying to rebuild configure scripts and Makefiles it appears there
> is a restriction and/or assumption on the particular version of the
> tools that required.

I usually look at the head of the file I'm trying to re-generate to see
which version of the tool was used. I'm generally able to find the
version I need using a simple google search.

Note when cloning a port it can be very tedious to update generated
files manually. The auto-tools are definitely your friend here (once you
have the correct versions). I start at the root of the sid source tree
and run aclocal/autoconf/automake and then look to see which
subdirectories did not get updated. If there are any, I go there and
repeat the process.
> It would be very nice if I could use the latest versions of these
> utilities to build. U just need the recipe to regenerate the proper
> files to build.

I guess that would be up to higher powers than I to decide. If you are
successful in using a later version of any tool, you should let us know
what changes (if any) were needed.

I hope this helps,
Dave