From: "David Gray" <dgray@rsn.hp.com>
To: <sourcenav@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Using Source Nav. database API
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 15:19:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi, guys,

I installed Source Nav. to help me analyze our source.  It seems like a =
very powerful tool.  I also need to use the database programming =
interface to extend the capabilities.  I've read over the programming =
documentation several times, but still cannot get the tcl/tk or C =
interfaces to work.

I am not familiar with tcl/tk but here's what happens when I run the =
sample script shown below. =20

% pwd
/tmp_mnt/nis.home/pal/dgray/test_dev
% ls
Makefile            dbqry.c             legacyio_cscope     tbvm
cscope_clock        extract_clock       legacyio_snav.proj  tcl.sh
dbqry               functions.sh        legacyio_thtk
% cat tcl.sh
#!/bin/sh
# Replace $HOME/snavigator with the Source-Navigator
# installation directory! \
exec /opt/snav/bin/hyper "$0" "$@"
#
# Don't forget the backslash before exec!
#
set db_functions [dbopen nav_func .snprj/legacyio_snav.to RDONLY 0644 =
btree \
  {cachesize=3D200000}]

puts [join [$db_functions seq -data] \n]
exit
% ll /opt/snav/bin/hyper
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root       mppos      19368880 Mar 22  2001 =
/opt/snav/bin/hyper=20
% ll .snprj/legacyio_snav.to
-rw-rw----   1 dgray      mppos      259457024 Dec  4 09:57 =
.snprj/legacyio_snav.to
% tcl.sh
Error: unknown encoding "iso8859-1"
% uname -a
HP-UX bobcat B.10.20 A 9000/889 274844331 two-user license

This seems simply like some kind of setup or environmental problem.

I also compiled and linked the dbqry.c sample program.  I tried various =
pattern arguments but repeatedly got no output.  Is there any =
documentation on specifying the pattern argument?  What is the universal =
"dump it all" pattern?

I attached the dbqry.c program below.

I am just trying to get started with the database interface but got =
stuck.  I would appreciate any tips you guys can send me.

Thanks,
David Gray
Hewlett-Packard
Richardson, Texas

---------------------------- attachment -------------------------------

/*
 * dbquery.c
 *
 * Copyright (C) 1998 Cygnus Solutions
 *
 * This example shows how to query the Source-Navigator database in C.
 */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <errno.h>

#include "db.h"

int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
        DB      *db;
        DBT     data;
        DBT     key;
        int     flag;
        int     len;
        char    *pattern;

        if (argc !=3D 3)
        {
                printf("usage: %s database pattern\n",argv[0]);
                exit(1);
        }
        if (!(db =3D dbopen(argv[1],O_RDONLY,0644,DB_BTREE,NULL)))
        {
                fprintf(stderr,"Could not open \"%s\",%s\n",argv[1],
                        strerror(errno));
                exit(2);
        }

        pattern =3D argv[2];
        len =3D strlen(pattern);
        key.data =3D (void *)pattern;
        key.size =3D len;
        for(flag =3D R_CURSOR;
                db->seq(db,&key,&data,flag) =3D=3D 0 &&
                strncmp(key.data,pattern,len) =3D=3D 0; flag =3D R_NEXT)
        {
                printf("key:  %s\n", (char *) key.data);
                printf("data: %s\n", (char *) data.data);
        }
        db->close(db);

        exit (0);