* Re: Cannot build project with windows binary
@ 2001-11-05  8:31 Pankaj Datta
From: Pankaj Datta @ 2001-11-05  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Jordan, Syd, Ian, and others,
    I have run into the same problem that you are discussing in this =
thread.

>> C:\> PATH includes C:\SourceNavigator\H-i686-pc-
>> cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin;C:\cygwin\bin;

> Get rid of the semi-colons in the path.

I do not see how one could get rid of the semi-colons in a Windows/DOS =
path.  Syd could you explain?

>> confusing issue in all this is that "make" can be called by SN even
>> though it exists in the same directory as g++, rm, etc.

>Are you sure that you are running the correct make?
>(i.e. you might not be running the same one that is in the
> directory with g++, rm, etc.)

Ian, I do not see how one could choose which version of make they run, =
since if you use the default option (make) as the SN build command in =
the SN build dialog box,  SN seems to be using its own version of make.

Until someone corrects this problem here's a workaround.  Thought I'd =
share it with you and others who may be in the same situation.=20
My setup is:
    -- Windows 98 + SN5.0 + CYGWIN.
    -- SN is installed in C:\sn
    -- cygwin is installed in C:\cygwin
    -- Windows PATH var is set to =
C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM;C:\CYGWIN\BIN in autoexec.bat

1) Create a batch file, say C:\snmake.bat with the following:

    PATH
    set =
PATH=3DC:\sn\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin;c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\window=
s\system;c:\cygwin\bin
    make %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

2) Use C:\snmake as your "Build command" in the SN build dialog box=20
   =20

The PATH command in the first line of the batch file allows you to =
display the kind of path SN  sees.   Incidentally, on my machine  doing =
2) causes the following output when PATH is executed:

PATH=3DC:/SN/H-I686-PC-CYGWIN/bin:C:/SN/H-I686-PC-CYGWIN/bin:C:\WINDOWS;C=
:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM;C:\CYGWIN\BIN

As you can see from the above, SN seems to be using Unix style path spec =
for its own sub-path and appending it to the Windows path.  If you had =
the same path specification as above in a DOS comand shell, you would =
have no problem accessing rm , g++, or any other cygwin commands.   =
However, I think SN does some kind of parsing on the PATH and looses it! =
 Something for SN gurus to figure out.

The workaround I suggested above has a side-effect:  after the build is =
complete, you will have to press the  "Stop" button before you can do =
another build.

Hope this helps,

Pankaj

* Re: Cannot build project with windows binary
@ 2001-11-05 14:25 Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2001-11-05 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Datta, sourcenav

Pankaj Datta wrote:

>Jordan, Syd, Ian, and others,
>    I have run into the same problem that you are discussing in this =
>thread.
>
>>> C:\> PATH includes C:\SourceNavigator\H-i686-pc-
>>> cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin;C:\cygwin\bin;
>
>> Get rid of the semi-colons in the path.
>
>I do not see how one could get rid of the semi-colons in a Windows/DOS =
>path.  Syd could you explain?

A simple mistake, that is all.

Syd Polk
jazzman@bayarea.net                 http://www.bayarea.net/~jazzman
"Let the music be your light." -- Dave Edwards, KUHF-FM, 1982

* Re: Cannot build project with windows binary
@ 2001-10-17 11:42 ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-10-17 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordan; +Cc: sourcenav

Jordan wrote:

> I can set up these projects in version of SourceNavigator I built from
> source on my linux box and the projects build and run OK, proving that
> it is not my project build setup inside SN that is the problem.  The
> confusing issue in all this is that "make" can be called by SN even
> though it exists in the same directory as g++, rm, etc.

Are you sure that you are running the correct make?
(i.e. you might not be running the same one that is in the
directory with g++, rm, etc.)

could you be running microsoft's version of make?

Make sure the the cygwin stuff is at the start of your path
(or before the MS make.exe).  You should be able to run bash
from you MS-Dos command prompt.

Ian.

* Re: Cannot build project with windows binary
@ 2001-10-17 10:16 ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2001-10-17 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordan; +Cc: sourcenav

On Wednesday, November 21, 2001, at 12:56 , Jordan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is another request for assistance regarding my attempts to build
> some simple projects inside the windows release of SN 5.0.
>
> Thanks to Syd, Bernard and Khamis for their comments so
> far. Unfortunately, no dice.
>

> My setup:
>
> Windows 2000
> Cygwin is located at C:\cygwin
> SourceNavigator is located at C:\SourceNavigator
>
> C:\> PATH includes C:\SourceNavigator\H-i686-pc-
> cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin;C:\cygwin\bin;

Get rid of the semi-colons in the path.

> I can build the "projects" from the command line in both a Windows
> Command prompt window and from a cygwin bash shell proving that in
> both cases, gcc is in the search path.
>

> Results from SN:
>
> Clean build of room.proj
>
> rm -f *.o
> rm -f libclassroom.a
> make: rm: Command not found
> make: *** [clean] Error 127
> +++ End +++
>

> Build of head.proj
>
> g++ -c main.cpp
> make: g++: Command not found
> make: *** [main.o] Error 127
> +++ End +++
>

> I can set up these projects in version of SourceNavigator I built from
> source on my linux box and the projects build and run OK, proving that
> it is not my project build setup inside SN that is the problem.  The
> confusing issue in all this is that "make" can be called by SN even
> though it exists in the same directory as g++, rm, etc.
>
> So either my Cygwin/Sn setup is skewif on the windows side or the
> windows binary hasn't been built properly as it can't locate the tools
> with which to build the projects.
>
> I would ideally like somebody to do a fresh install of the SN 5.0
> binary to identify if my experience is actually a bug.
>
> Any inspiration divine or otherwise gratefully accepted.
>
> J.
>
> P.S. As before please Cc me directly when replying to the list, thanks.

Syd Polk
QA and Integration Manager, Mac OSX Development Tools
+1 408 974-0577

* Cannot build project with windows binary
@ 2001-10-17  3:37 Jordan