* customization
@ 2001-02-09  9:54 D-Man
From: D-Man @ 2001-02-09  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

I would like to change a few things about SN's gui, but I don't think
there are any options for it yet :

	o always add an Editor view to Class and XRef views
	o Editor view is always 80 characters wide when created
	o Editor displays in reverse video (like gvim does)
	o Editor is read-only (a viewer really, not an editor)

I really don't mind hard-coding these prefs into my copy, but I don't
know either Tcl or Tk.  If someone would show me what to add, and
where I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I would like gvim to open up at the proper line of code when I
double-click in a view.  I didn't find the cl option in the help
files,  and also I don't know what format string specifier I would
need to use in the "External Editor" option.  Could someone give me
some pointer here too?

Thanks,
-D

* Re: customization
@ 2001-02-09 11:28 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2001-02-09 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, D-Man wrote:

> I would like to change a few things about SN's gui, but I don't think
> there are any options for it yet :
>
> 	o always add an Editor view to Class and XRef views
> 	o Editor view is always 80 characters wide when created
> 	o Editor displays in reverse video (like gvim does)
> 	o Editor is read-only (a viewer really, not an editor)
>
> I really don't mind hard-coding these prefs into my copy, but I don't
> know either Tcl or Tk.  If someone would show me what to add, and
> where I would greatly appreciate it.

Well, we can give you general tips on how to implement the
changes but you are going to have to actually go into the
code and get it working.

For example, that "Editor is read-only" can be done by setting
the -state option of the editor's text widget to disabled.
You would need to add a command like:

$text configure -state disabled

The "reverse video" thing should not be hard at all. Just
set the background to black and the fg to green. Here
is a quick wish (Tk) script to get you started.

$ wish
% text .t -bg black -fg green
% pack .t

> Also, I would like gvim to open up at the proper line of code when I
> double-click in a view.  I didn't find the cl option in the help
> files,  and also I don't know what format string specifier I would
> need to use in the "External Editor" option.  Could someone give me
> some pointer here too?

The docs have some info about each of the format strings
you can use for an "External Editor".

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: customization
@ 2001-02-13  9:30   ` D-Man
From: D-Man @ 2001-02-13  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 11:28:48AM -0800, Mo DeJong wrote:
| On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, D-Man wrote:
|
| > I would like to change a few things about SN's gui, but I don't think
| > there are any options for it yet :
| >
| > 	o always add an Editor view to Class and XRef views
| > 	o Editor view is always 80 characters wide when created
| > 	o Editor displays in reverse video (like gvim does)
| > 	o Editor is read-only (a viewer really, not an editor)
| >
| > I really don't mind hard-coding these prefs into my copy, but I don't
| > know either Tcl or Tk.  If someone would show me what to add, and
| > where I would greatly appreciate it.
|
| Well, we can give you general tips on how to implement the
| changes but you are going to have to actually go into the
| code and get it working.

Of course, this is what I was asking for.

| For example, that "Editor is read-only" can be done by setting
| the -state option of the editor's text widget to disabled.
| You would need to add a command like:
|
| $text configure -state disabled

Ok, got that.  Line 118 in share/gui/multiedit.tcl

| The "reverse video" thing should not be hard at all. Just
| set the background to black and the fg to green. Here
| is a quick wish (Tk) script to get you started.
|
| $ wish
| % text .t -bg black -fg green
| % pack .t

That worked, but I found the highlight colors were to dark for my
taste.  I put it back to the default white background.

| > Also, I would like gvim to open up at the proper line of code when I
| > double-click in a view.  I didn't find the cl option in the help
| > files,  and also I don't know what format string specifier I would
| > need to use in the "External Editor" option.  Could someone give me
| > some pointer here too?
|
| The docs have some info about each of the format strings
| you can use for an "External Editor".
|
| Mo DeJong
| Red Hat Inc

I couldn't figure out which function to call to put the Editor view
into the Class and XRef views.  I did find what appears to be the
constructor for the Class and XRef views though.

Also, I couldn't get the Editor to be 80 chars wide by default.  It is
much smaller (around 60 characters).  I tried changing line 119 in
multiedit.tcl to have  -width 80  instead of  -width $width , but it
didn't seem to have any effect.

-D

* Re: customization
@ 2001-02-13 10:19     ` Kenneth Luke
From: Kenneth Luke @ 2001-02-13 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

--On Tuesday, February 13, 2001 12:30:17 PM -0500 D-Man <dsh8290@rit.edu>
wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 11:28:48AM -0800, Mo DeJong wrote:
> | On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, D-Man wrote:
>
> | The "reverse video" thing should not be hard at all. Just
> | set the background to black and the fg to green. Here
> | is a quick wish (Tk) script to get you started.
> |
> | $ wish
> | % text .t -bg black -fg green
> | % pack .t
>
> That worked, but I found the highlight colors were to dark for my
> taste.  I put it back to the default white background.

You should be able to use any of the color names that are listed in the file
rgb.txt (in /usr/lib/X11 on my system, yours may vary)

   Ken Luke                             ken_luke@mentorg.com
   x8213-7089                           Pager: (503)870-0442
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is hard." -Edmund Keane