* Update on SN progress....
@ 2001-11-23 14:08 Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-11-23 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi everybody,

thought I'd post an update on what's going on with Source Navigator.
The short story is, I've not done much.

But, I did put SN under CVS (actually I did it a while ago and
didn't tell anybody....).

It's a work in progress but it will build on linux (and maybe
other UNIX systems).  The Window build is pretty broken right
now.  When I get around to fixing it up I'm going to change
the compiler from MSVC++ to gcc.  That should make it a little
easier to build and I don't think they should be any performance
change.

So, if you are interested in having a look at what will hopefully
become  Source-Navigator 5.1 some day, then the first thing you
need to do is checkout all the sources.

Grab all the things that are needed to build Source-Navigator:

[irox@localhost sourcenav]$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/src
[irox@localhost sourcenav]$ cvs login
(Logging in to anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com)
CVS password:
{The password is "anoncvs".}
[irox@localhost sourcenav]$ cvs co src-support naked-itcl naked-tk naked-tcl naked-tix naked-libgui
{Big long checkout....}
[irox@localhost sourcenav]$

Now we need to change our CVSROOT and grab the Source-Navigator sources:

[irox@localhost sourcenav]$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/sourcenav
[irox@localhost sourcenav]$ cvs login
(Logging in to anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com)
CVS password:
{Same password again, "anoncvs".}
[irox@localhost sourcenav]$ cvs co snavigator
{Another big long checkout....}
[irox@localhost sourcenav]$

Check to make sure that you have all the required sources and
then build it:
[irox@localhost sourcenav]$ mkdir build
[irox@localhost sourcenav]$ cd build
[irox@localhost build]$ ../src/configure --prefix=/my/install/dir
{Big long configure....}
[irox@localhost build]$ make all-snavigator
{Big long build which breaks......}
[irox@localhost build]$ make all-tix
{A not so long build......}
[irox@localhost build]$ make all-snavigator
{A not so long build......}
[irox@localhost build]$ make install
{A long install thing....}

Now, if everything went well you can run it!

Some know problems:
The layout code that is used by the X-Ref tool to arrange the
calling tree is completely broken.  This is next on my list
of things to fix (it's in libgui).

I'm also planning to submit a patch to add a sn-support
module to the /cvs/src CVS root so we don't have to remember
all those modules each time we do a checkout.

Fix the tix dependency that causes the build to break.

I need to write a web page on how to build from CVS
(once all the kinks are smoothed out a bit).

Then I'll fix the Windows build and change the compiler to gcc.
I'm hoping that building with gcc will make it much easier for
me to maintain the Windows port (and hopefully a better working
Windows port).  Let me know if you think any differently BTW.

From now on, all Source-Navigator development will be visable
to the public.  If you'd like to keep up with the latest changes
then you should subscribe to sourcenav-cvs@sources.redhat.com.
Might be a low traffic list depending on how much free time
I have for SN hacking.

Last but not least, they are some bug fixes in the CVS
version that are worth checking out.  I can't remember them
off the top of my head, but they include fixing the table
widget to get ride of the black block space and some other anonying
bugs have been fixed.

Anyway, good luck if you attempt to build from CVS.  Please
post to the list if you have success building on a non linux
host.

Thanks,

  Ian.

* Update on SN progress....