* Debugging SourceNavigator
@ 2001-11-23 14:19 Left Spin
From: Left Spin @ 2001-11-23 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

I'd like to improve on Source Navigator. I've read up on tcl/tk and [incr
tcl/tk], but now I'm at a loss on how you debug the running application. I'm
having trouble following the state variables of the megawidgets, and I'd
really like to be able to set break points in the tcl/tk code and examine
objects.

Any help would be appreciated. My goal is to provide fixes to the source,
and add an optional new editor keybindings configuration file (wordstar to
start with).

Thanks

* Re: Debugging SourceNavigator
@ 2001-11-27 17:10 ` Mike Clarkson
From: Mike Clarkson @ 2001-11-27 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Left Spin; +Cc: sourcenav

At 01:18 AM 12/13/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I'd like to improve on Source Navigator. I've read up on tcl/tk and [incr
>tcl/tk], but now I'm at a loss on how you debug the running application. I'm
>having trouble following the state variables of the megawidgets, and I'd
>really like to be able to set break points in the tcl/tk code and examine
>objects.

There's a very good debugger/inspector for Tcl/Tk/Tix called TixInspect,
which has a basic but fairly useful debugger built into it. The inspector
lets you see
everything, and modify things on the fly - it's very powerful. Look at

	http://tix.sourceforge.net/Tixapps

To use SN with TixInspect under Unix, you'll have to comply with Tk's
semi-rigorous demands for Xauth authentication and no xhosts, or recompile the
tk dynamic library with this turned off. In the Makefile for tk, look for

# To turn off the security checks that disallow incoming sends when
# the X server appears to be insecure, reverse the comments on the
# following lines:
SECURITY_FLAGS =
#SECURITY_FLAGS = -DTK_NO_SECURITY

Then in the SN code, if it's not already there, add the following line;

	tk appname "SN#[winfo id .]"

To use SN with TixInspect under Windows, you'll have make sure the
Tcl tcldde83.dll is available either in the directory with with the tcl83.dll
or in lib/tcl8.3/dde1.0 (replace 83 with whatever verion of Tcl you're using).

Then in the SN code, if it's not already there, add the following lines;

	package require dde
	dde servername "SN#[winfo id .]"

>Any help would be appreciated. My goal is to provide fixes to the source,
>and add an optional new editor keybindings configuration file (wordstar to
>start with).

TixInspect is the revised updated version of the time-honoured Tkinspect,
and is built for Tix applications such as SN. OTOH, if I had of known you
were going to use it for adding Wordstar bindings, I would never have
released it:-)

Mike.

* Debugging SourceNavigator
@ 2001-12-12 17:18 ` Left Spin
From: Left Spin @ 2001-12-12 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

@ 2001-12-14  9:25   ` Mike Clarkson
From: Mike Clarkson @ 2001-12-14  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Left Spin; +Cc: sourcenav

@ 2001-12-14 11:14       ` Mike Clarkson
From: Mike Clarkson @ 2001-12-14 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syd Polk, Mike Fahlbusch; +Cc: sourcenav, Left Spin

At 10:50 PM 12/12/01 -0800, Syd Polk wrote:

>Mike Fahlbusch wrote:
>
>> >I'd like to improve on Source Navigator. I've read up on tcl/tk and [incr
>> >tcl/tk], but now I'm at a loss on how you debug the running application.
>
>There is no good way to step SN through a debugger. I would investigate
>setting the SN_DEBUG variable and using the logging. I have also spent
>time actually in gdb with the C code for the Tcl interpreter figuring
>out problems.

With Tixinspect you are debugging the run-time program by connecting to it
with Tk's send mechanism. After making the SN interpreter "visible" to send
by doing the steps I outlined previously, use File/Select Interpreter/
and look for the interpreter named SN#xxxx where xxxx is the window id.

>> >I'm having trouble following the state variables of the megawidgets, and
>> >I'd really like to be able to set break points in the tcl/tk code and
>> >examine objects.
>
>One thing you can do is launch the console, load the SN part, and then
>selectively replace the pieces you need. tk is a dynamic coding
>environment, and you should be able to take advantage of that.

With Tixinspect use Tcl/TixDebug to bring up the debugger, then click on
Refresh. It takes advantage of the fact that tk is a dynamic coding
environment, and selectively replace the pieces you choose with instrumented
procedures that activate the debugger. You can set breakpoints, or step
through procedures.

Mike.

* Re: Debugging SourceNavigator
@ 2001-12-12 22:52     ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2001-12-12 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Fahlbusch; +Cc: sourcenav, Left Spin

Mike Fahlbusch wrote:

> At 01:19 AM 12/13/01 +0000, you wrote:
>
> Here is my wish list:
>
> - HTML help files included with binary

They should be there, actually. They should end up in share/doc/html or
some such place.

> - list of array variables in menu Symbols-View-Variables
> - goto line doesn't seem to work (if patch isn't currently included with d/l)
> - iconise all windows command in Window menu
> - Goto sel in top level Search menu instead of its own Search-Goto-Goto
> menu.  This to make the goto command easier to get to.
> - multiple bookmarks (at least 10), with its own bookmarks menu, instead of
> just the one bookamark in the Search-Goto menu.
> - a version of SN with compiled executable tcl/tk files instead of the
> interpreted format for improved execution speed (if not already done).

Unlikely. Tcl/Tk is much faster now than it used to be. Most of the
slowdowns are in questionable coding practices in the tcl code or the
extensions that were written for SN. We did not have time to fix them
all.

> - and last but not least, reduced memory usage if possible

Difficult at best. SN has a lot of info sitting around.

> >I'd like to improve on Source Navigator. I've read up on tcl/tk and [incr
> >tcl/tk], but now I'm at a loss on how you debug the running application.

There is no good way to step SN through a debugger. I would investigate
setting the SN_DEBUG variable and using the logging. I have also spent
time actually in gdb with the C code for the Tcl interpreter figuring
out problems.

> >I'm having trouble following the state variables of the megawidgets, and
> >I'd really like to be able to set break points in the tcl/tk code and
> >examine objects.

One thing you can do is launch the console, load the SN part, and then
selectively replace the pieces you need. tk is a dynamic coding
environment, and you should be able to take advantage of that.

> >Any help would be appreciated. My goal is to provide fixes to the source,
> >and add an optional new editor keybindings configuration file (wordstar to
> >start with).

Good luck to you.

* Re: Debugging SourceNavigator
@ 2001-12-12 18:06 ` Left Spin
From: Left Spin @ 2001-12-12 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mcf, sourcenav

Yeah, those would be nice. So far, I've only been able to change simple
things like changing the default symbol browser combo box to check only
Functions, and change some key bindings.

@ 2001-12-12 18:03   ` Mike Fahlbusch
From: Mike Fahlbusch @ 2001-12-12 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav; +Cc: Left Spin

@ 2001-12-12 17:19 ` Left Spin
From: Left Spin @ 2001-12-12 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

@ 2001-11-29 23:46     ` Mike Clarkson
From: Mike Clarkson @ 2001-11-29 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syd Polk, Mike Fahlbusch; +Cc: sourcenav, Left Spin

@ 2001-11-26  0:23   ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2001-11-26  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Fahlbusch; +Cc: sourcenav, Left Spin

Mike Fahlbusch wrote:

> At 01:19 AM 12/13/01 +0000, you wrote:
>
> Here is my wish list:
>
> - HTML help files included with binary

They should be there, actually. They should end up in share/doc/html or
some such place.

> - list of array variables in menu Symbols-View-Variables
> - goto line doesn't seem to work (if patch isn't currently included with d/l)
> - iconise all windows command in Window menu
> - Goto sel in top level Search menu instead of its own Search-Goto-Goto
> menu.  This to make the goto command easier to get to.
> - multiple bookmarks (at least 10), with its own bookmarks menu, instead of
> just the one bookamark in the Search-Goto menu.
> - a version of SN with compiled executable tcl/tk files instead of the
> interpreted format for improved execution speed (if not already done).

Unlikely. Tcl/Tk is much faster now than it used to be. Most of the
slowdowns are in questionable coding practices in the tcl code or the
extensions that were written for SN. We did not have time to fix them
all.

> - and last but not least, reduced memory usage if possible

Difficult at best. SN has a lot of info sitting around.

> >I'd like to improve on Source Navigator. I've read up on tcl/tk and [incr
> >tcl/tk], but now I'm at a loss on how you debug the running application.

There is no good way to step SN through a debugger. I would investigate
setting the SN_DEBUG variable and using the logging. I have also spent
time actually in gdb with the C code for the Tcl interpreter figuring
out problems.

> >I'm having trouble following the state variables of the megawidgets, and
> >I'd really like to be able to set break points in the tcl/tk code and
> >examine objects.

One thing you can do is launch the console, load the SN part, and then
selectively replace the pieces you need. tk is a dynamic coding
environment, and you should be able to take advantage of that.

> >Any help would be appreciated. My goal is to provide fixes to the source,
> >and add an optional new editor keybindings configuration file (wordstar to
> >start with).

Good luck to you.

* Re: Debugging SourceNavigator
@ 2001-11-25 18:28 Left Spin