* SN4.5.2: problems compiling it using cygwin
@ 2000-09-13  7:16 Kai Denker
From: Kai Denker @ 2000-09-13  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'sourcenav@sources.redhat.com'

Hi!

I have downloaded and extracted the 4.5.2-Source and tried to compile
it using cygwin unter Win98, but it failed:

$ ./configure
Configuring for a i586-pc-cygwin32 host.
*** Cannot configure in source tree.
*** Make a parallel directory and configure there.

I am not experienced with building Unix-software (with
configure-Scripts), so I have no idea, how to remove this "source
tree"-attribute. Any ideas?

Regards
	Kai Denker

* Re: SN4.5.2: problems compiling it using cygwin
@ 2000-09-13  7:37 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-09-13  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Denker; +Cc: 'sourcenav@sources.redhat.com'

   I have downloaded and extracted the 4.5.2-Source and tried to compile
   it using cygwin unter Win98, but it failed:

   $ ./configure
   Configuring for a i586-pc-cygwin32 host.
   *** Cannot configure in source tree.
   *** Make a parallel directory and configure there.

The error message is correct: you can't run `configure' in the source
tree.  You need to create a separate tree for object code:

	$ mkdir build && cd build
	$ /path/to/src/configure

Ben

* Re: SN4.5.2: problems compiling it using cygwin
@ 2000-09-13  8:53 ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-09-13  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kai.denker; +Cc: 'sourcenav@sources.redhat.com'

You have two options:

1. Download the binary.

Or read on:

Kai Denker wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have downloaded and extracted the 4.5.2-Source and tried to compile
> it using cygwin unter Win98, but it failed:
>
> $ ./configure
> Configuring for a i586-pc-cygwin32 host.

This is an old version of cygwin. You need to upgrade. Also, we only support
Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 as the compiler. When you have the net release of
cygwin (available via http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin ), and MSVC C++ 5.0, you
can then attempt to build Source-Navigator on Windows.

I would recommend building it on Windows only if you plan on hacking and giving
us patches.

> *** Cannot configure in source tree.
> *** Make a parallel directory and configure there.
>
> I am not experienced with building Unix-software (with
> configure-Scripts), so I have no idea, how to remove this "source
> tree"-attribute. Any ideas?
>
> Regards
>         Kai Denker

What this means is that you need to build and install in separate directories
from the source tree. After you unpack the source, you will get a directory
called SN452-src. You want to create another directory at the same level, so
that you have:

bash-2.01% ls
SN452-src
SN452-build

Then, cd SN452-build. Type the following command line:

CC=cl CFLAGS="-0d -Z7" ../SN452-src/configure
make all-snavigator
make install-snavigator

We hope to have support for gcc done by the end of the year.