* Source-Navigator 4.5.2 is now available
@ 2000-09-12 13:12 Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-09-12 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav, sourcenav-announce

Source-Navigator 4.5.2 is now available from
http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav . It include the patches, the c++
extension by Florent Pillet, and the Python parser by Thomas Heller.

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.

* Q: Project management
@ 2000-09-14  9:13 ` Tee Y Teoh
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Tee Y Teoh @ 2000-09-14  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hello,
    Is it possible to do the following:

1) Use the same generated project and share it between several designers
?

2) Do incremental updates to the database ?

Our source tree is large...over 8,000 files and it takes around 8 hours
to generate the database from scratch. Hence the above two questions
will aid us greatly. We are using SN 4.5.1.

Note: I looked into the User Guide and did not come across any such
discussions. Did I miss something ?

Thanks

Tee Teoh

* Re: Q: Project management
@ 2000-09-14  9:28   ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-09-14  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tee Y Teoh; +Cc: sourcenav

Tee Y Teoh wrote:

> Hello,
>     Is it possible to do the following:
>
> 1) Use the same generated project and share it between several designers
> ?

Not simultaneously. Different people should be able to open the same file.

> 2) Do incremental updates to the database ?

Source-Navigator does support incremental updates. You should just open the
project again after your source has changed, and it will refresh. You can force
this by selecting the "Refresh Project" command from the menus.

> Our source tree is large...over 8,000 files and it takes around 8 hours
> to generate the database from scratch. Hence the above two questions
> will aid us greatly. We are using SN 4.5.1.
>
> Note: I looked into the User Guide and did not come across any such
> discussions. Did I miss something ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tee Teoh

* Re: Q: Project management
@ 2000-09-14  9:41     ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 2000-09-14  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Syd Polk <spolk@redhat.com> writes:

> Tee Y Teoh wrote:

[...]

> > 2) Do incremental updates to the database ?
>
> Source-Navigator does support incremental updates. You should just
> open the project again after your source has changed, and it will
> refresh. You can force this by selecting the "Refresh Project"
> command from the menus.

The databases will tend to grow over time if you do this, though.
There's an example somewhere of using dbcp (or hyper) to copy the
databases in a project (which will produce smaller databases).

Generally the size of these databases doesn't matter, but if they're
big, using dbcp to copy them can help significantly.  Indeed, on a
freshly created project I found doing this halved the size of the
database.

--
Bruce Stephens			Bruce.Stephens@MessagingDirect.com
MessagingDirect(UK) Ltd		<URL: http://www.MessagingDirect.com/ >

* Re: Q: Project management
@ 2000-09-14 16:22   ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-09-14 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tee Y Teoh; +Cc: sourcenav

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Tee Y Teoh wrote:

> Hello,
>     Is it possible to do the following:
>
> 1) Use the same generated project and share it between several designers
> ?
>
> 2) Do incremental updates to the database ?
>
> Our source tree is large...over 8,000 files and it takes around 8 hours
> to generate the database from scratch. Hence the above two questions
> will aid us greatly. We are using SN 4.5.1.
>
> Note: I looked into the User Guide and did not come across any such
> discussions. Did I miss something ?

Source-Navigator's has a "single user" database model. This is
part of the existing design and not something that can be
changed easily.

Once the project is parsed, it will update individual files
when the mod time of the file changes.

Basically, each developer needs to have a copy of
the project on the local machine.

I hope that helps.
Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Q: Project management
@ 2000-09-14 18:56   ` Gilles J. Seguin
From: Gilles J. Seguin @ 2000-09-14 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Tee Y Teoh wrote:

> Hello,
>     Is it possible to do the following:
>
> 1) Use the same generated project and share it between several designers
> ?
>
> 2) Do incremental updates to the database ?
>
> Our source tree is large...over 8,000 files and it takes around 8 hours
> to generate the database from scratch. Hence the above two questions
> will aid us greatly. We are using SN 4.5.1.
>
> Note: I looked into the User Guide and did not come across any such
> discussions. Did I miss something ?

Are we not able to merge data base from subdirectories.
Does the add projects provide that.