* Re: xref and referred by?
@ 2000-11-14  8:55 Mark Thornber
From: Mark Thornber @ 2000-11-14  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Following on from Dave Banham's e-mail and the request for a test case
from Mo DeJong - the c++_demo project in the sn distribution exhibits
the problem.

xref of 'int Agent(mi) Agent(Sequencer *)' shows 'w agent_value(ud)'
which cannot be found in the symbol table but is in glish/Agent.h Line
123 "Value* agent_value;".

(There are other undefined symbols in the same xref display.)

--Mark Thornber

* Re: xref and referred by?
@ 2000-11-15  4:57 dave.banham
From: dave.banham @ 2000-11-15  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Mark,
Thanks for finding an example test case for this problem - I have been on
holiday for the last three weeks and now I'm burried under a mountain of stuff
to be done by yesterday!

I trust that those of you with the dark knowledge of SN will be able to find and
fix this problem.

Regards
Dave Banham

Mark Thornber <emthornber@iee.org> on 14/11/2000 17:54:42

To:   sourcenav@sources.redhat.com
cc:    (bcc: Dave BANHAM/PCS/PCG/TDE/GECALSTHOM)
Subject:  Re: xref and referred by?

@ 2000-10-19 22:08 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-10-19 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 dave.banham@tde.alstom.com wrote:

> My project is 100% (embedded) C code and I still have problems with xref. I hope
> that when the C++ parser is fixed that the C parsing capabilities will be
> improved too.
>
> BTW, I notice that sometimes when I right click on a variable in the editor
> window and select Find Implementation of 'xyz' that nothing happens, but when I
> select Find Declaration of 'xyz' SN puts up a window asking me choose one of two
> files to view. The first file is always a .h file and when selected it shows a
> line with the variable declared extern. Whilst the second file is the .c and
> shows the line where the variable is implemented (or is that declared?) If I
> then click on the variable's declared type (which is a typedef'd type), Find
> Implementation does nothing and Find Declaration switches (correctly) to the
> file containing the typedef statement for the type. If I now repeat this for the
> type name (in the typedef statement), Find Implementation does nothing and Find
> Declaration highlights the type name. Using Xref on the type name, shows that
> xref doesn't know where the type is used either.
>
> Oddly enough, Find Implementation and Find Declaration work fine for function
> names, as does Xref. Is the cross-reference information broken for variables and
> types or was it never intended to cover variables and types? (If so why not?)
>
> Regards
> Dave Banham

If you could create a small test case that reproduces this
error, that would really help. Without a way to reproduce
the error, we are not going to be able to fix it. Oh, and
please don't include things like, "download mozilla and
then do this ...". That does not help, we need a test
case with one or two functions that shows the error.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: xref and referred by?
@ 2000-10-19  7:58 ` Berek
From: Berek @ 2000-10-19  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

I've experienced the same problem frequently (declaration vs
implementation).

> My project is 100% (embedded) C code and I still have problems with xref.
I hope
> that when the C++ parser is fixed that the C parsing capabilities will be
> improved too.
>
> BTW, I notice that sometimes when I right click on a variable in the
editor
> window and select Find Implementation of 'xyz' that nothing happens, but
when I
> select Find Declaration of 'xyz' SN puts up a window asking me choose one
of two
> files to view. The first file is always a .h file and when selected it
shows a
> line with the variable declared extern. Whilst the second file is the .c
and
> shows the line where the variable is implemented (or is that declared?) If
> then click on the variable's declared type (which is a typedef'd type),
Find
> Implementation does nothing and Find Declaration switches (correctly) to
the
> file containing the typedef statement for the type. If I now repeat this
for the
> type name (in the typedef statement), Find Implementation does nothing and
Find
> Declaration highlights the type name. Using Xref on the type name, shows
that
> xref doesn't know where the type is used either.
>
> Oddly enough, Find Implementation and Find Declaration work fine for
function
> names, as does Xref. Is the cross-reference information broken for
variables and
> types or was it never intended to cover variables and types? (If so why
not?)

> Regards
> Dave Banham
>

> "Berek" <berek@usa.net> on 18/10/2000 16:00:37
>
> Please respond to "Berek" <berek@usa.net>
>
> To:   Dave BANHAM/PCS/PCG/TDE/GECALSTHOM@GA
> cc:
> Subject:  Re: xref and referred by?
>

> The xref seems to be pretty good with std C; however, it's not reliable
with
> C++, and no, you can't rely on it even if it's reporting some references.
> Until they eliminate the C++ parsing problems, you'll have to keep
verifying
> xrefs with grep.

If
> xref
> > reports no referenced by information then I will try grep, but if it
> reports
> > some referenced by information am I seeing the complete picture or just
> part of
> > it?
> >
> > Regards
> > Dave Banham
> >

> > Bruce Stephens <bruce.stephens@messagingdirect.com> on 17/10/2000
16:45:41

> > To:   sourcenav <sourcenav@sources.redhat.com>
> > cc:    (bcc: Dave BANHAM/PCS/PCG/TDE/GECALSTHOM)
> > Subject:  Re: xref and referred by?
> >

> > Lonnie L VanZandt <tsys@uswest.net> writes:
> >
> > > Why is it that many times the Referenced By information is
> > > unavailable? More often than not, I want to see who calls a function
> > > and not what that function calls. However, I can't seem to get SN to
> > > display the Referenced By information.
> >
> > xref requires that certain databases be completely constructed.  The
> > first time you run source navigator on a project, these can take some
> > time to construct (potentially hours, for large projects and/or slow
> > machines).  There's a progress bar in the bottom right corner of any
> > SN windows while this is going on.
> >
> > After the first time, SN should be faster to start up.
> >
> > --
> > Bruce Stephens           Bruce.Stephens@MessagingDirect.com
> > MessagingDirect(UK) Ltd       <URL: http://www.MessagingDirect.com/ >

* Re: xref and referred by?
@ 2000-10-19  3:01 dave.banham

@ 2000-10-18  1:11 dave.banham
From: dave.banham @ 2000-10-18  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

To:   sourcenav <sourcenav@sources.redhat.com>

@ 2000-10-17  8:45 ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 2000-10-17  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Lonnie L VanZandt <tsys@uswest.net> writes:

> Why is it that many times the Referenced By information is
> unavailable? More often than not, I want to see who calls a function
> and not what that function calls. However, I can't seem to get SN to
> display the Referenced By information.

xref requires that certain databases be completely constructed.  The
first time you run source navigator on a project, these can take some
time to construct (potentially hours, for large projects and/or slow
machines).  There's a progress bar in the bottom right corner of any
SN windows while this is going on.

After the first time, SN should be faster to start up.

--
Bruce Stephens			Bruce.Stephens@MessagingDirect.com
MessagingDirect(UK) Ltd		<URL: http://www.MessagingDirect.com/ >

* xref and referred by?
@ 2000-10-17  8:36 Lonnie L VanZandt
From: Lonnie L VanZandt @ 2000-10-17  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Why is it that many times the Referenced By information is unavailable? More
often than not, I want to see who calls a function and not what that
function calls. However, I can't seem to get SN to display the Referenced By
information.

Do you have a FAQ I should have read before bothering you?

Thanks,
Lonnie.