* Solaris 8(Intel) Build
@ 2000-11-16 22:19 c.f. morrison
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: c.f. morrison @ 2000-11-16 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi,
    Is it possible to build Source Navigator on Solaris8/Intel. I built
it with no problems on Linux but 'configure' in Solaris/Intel fails with
the error
' can not find sources in /opt/sfw/SN452-source/snavigator.
I love SN & would dearly love to have it on my Solaris/Intel box.
Thanks in advance
cf morrison

* Re: Solaris 8(Intel) Build
@ 2000-11-16 22:30 ` Eric Christopher
From: Eric Christopher @ 2000-11-16 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: morri70; +Cc: sourcenav

"c.f. morrison" wrote:

> Hi,
>     Is it possible to build Source Navigator on Solaris8/Intel. I built
> it with no problems on Linux but 'configure' in Solaris/Intel fails with
> the error
> ' can not find sources in /opt/sfw/SN452-source/snavigator.
> I love SN & would dearly love to have it on my Solaris/Intel box.

How interesting.  Perhaps that is a symlink to somewhere else?  Can you
try the configure and build on the same disk/partition?

I don't have a Solaris8/Intel box afaik to attempt this on, so I can
only help via remote :)

-eric

* Re: Solaris 8(Intel) Build
@ 2000-11-16 23:08 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-11-16 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c.f. morrison; +Cc: sourcenav

       Is it possible to build Source Navigator on Solaris8/Intel. I built
   it with no problems on Linux but 'configure' in Solaris/Intel fails with
   the error
   ' can not find sources in /opt/sfw/SN452-source/snavigator.

There's no reason why it should not work.

How about doing this from your build directory:

	sh -v -x /path/to/sn/src/configure --any-options

And look to see why it's failing.  You might also like to try:

	/path/to/src/configure --srcdir=/path/to/src/

Ben

* Re: Solaris 8(Intel) Build
@ 2000-11-18 12:48   ` c.f. morrison
From: c.f. morrison @ 2000-11-18 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Christopher; +Cc: sourcenav

Eric,
       I should have made clear that I use /opt/sfw/SN452-source as my source
tree and
/opt/sfw/SN452-build for my build.
Thanks for response
cfm

Eric Christopher wrote:

> "c.f. morrison" wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >     Is it possible to build Source Navigator on Solaris8/Intel. I built
> > it with no problems on Linux but 'configure' in Solaris/Intel fails with
> > the error
> > ' can not find sources in /opt/sfw/SN452-source/snavigator.
> > I love SN & would dearly love to have it on my Solaris/Intel box.
>
> How interesting.  Perhaps that is a symlink to somewhere else?  Can you
> try the configure and build on the same disk/partition?
>
> I don't have a Solaris8/Intel box afaik to attempt this on, so I can
> only help via remote :)
>
> -eric

* Re: Solaris 8(Intel) Build
@ 2000-11-19 17:23 ` c.f. morrison
From: c.f. morrison @ 2000-11-19 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: morri70; +Cc: sourcenav

I would like to put on record that Source Navigator builds fine on
Solaris8/Intel, It does demand using the GNU tar on the source package AND
gmake (the Solaris make had problems with one of the makefiles). I'm now
rather happy & thanks to Ben & Eric for their responses.
cfm

@ 2000-11-19 17:28   ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-11-19 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, c.f. morrison wrote:

> I would like to put on record that Source Navigator builds fine on
> Solaris8/Intel, It does demand using the GNU tar on the source package AND
> gmake (the Solaris make had problems with one of the makefiles). I'm now
> rather happy & thanks to Ben & Eric for their responses.
> cfm
>
> "c.f. morrison" wrote:

As far as I know, having both GNU tar and GNU make is a requirement
for building Source-Navigator on any platform (including Windows).
I just wanted to state that for the record so that nobody else
tries to use the vendor supplied (cough, always broken, cough)
tools to build SN.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Solaris 8(Intel) Build
@ 2000-11-19 17:29   ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-11-19 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c.f. morrison; +Cc: morri70, sourcenav

   I would like to put on record that Source Navigator builds fine on
   Solaris8/Intel, It does demand using the GNU tar on the source package
   AND gmake (the Solaris make had problems with one of the makefiles).
   I'm now rather happy & thanks to Ben & Eric for their responses.

Building a tar file that can be unpacked with older Unix tar programs is a
simple matter of packaging.  I assume this didn't happen -- Syd?

As for the make problem -- this should not happen, either.  S-N uses
Automake, which generates portable Makefiles.  Can you post the error that
you got so that we can fix such problems?

Cheers, Ben

* Re: Solaris 8(Intel) Build
@ 2000-11-19 17:34     ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-11-19 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Ben Elliston wrote:

>    I would like to put on record that Source Navigator builds fine on
>    Solaris8/Intel, It does demand using the GNU tar on the source package
>    AND gmake (the Solaris make had problems with one of the makefiles).
>    I'm now rather happy & thanks to Ben & Eric for their responses.
>
> Building a tar file that can be unpacked with older Unix tar programs is a
> simple matter of packaging.  I assume this didn't happen -- Syd?
>
> As for the make problem -- this should not happen, either.  S-N uses
> Automake, which generates portable Makefiles.  Can you post the error that
> you got so that we can fix such problems?

It does? Last I heard, automake generated makefiles would
not run with BSD make.  I have not run test myself, this is
just what I have seen users report on other projects.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Solaris 8(Intel) Build
@ 2000-11-20 12:01       ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-11-20 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: sourcenav

Mo> It does? Last I heard, automake generated makefiles would not run
Mo> with BSD make.

False.

It is true if you enable dependency tracking with automake 1.4.
However, automake 1.4 was designed so that end users will never enable
this feature.  `make dist' disables it.

Tom

* Re: Solaris 8(Intel) Build
@ 2000-11-20 22:56     ` c.f. morrison
From: c.f. morrison @ 2000-11-20 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: sourcenav

Ben,
    Here is the error in Solaris make ... I hope I've provided enough!
cfm

Ben Elliston wrote:

> As for the make problem -- this should not happen, either.  S-N uses
> Automake, which generates portable Makefiles.  Can you post the error that
> you got so that we can fix such problems?

                                                --/usr/local/ is linked to
/opt/sfw/
                                                --the makefile for
opt/sfw/SN452-build/itcl/src contains this (see Line 75)

                                                 .............(lots of
preceeding stuff)

# Tcl library
# (the configure script should find it; if not, edit below)
TCL_LIB =  -L/opt/sfw/SN452-build/tcl8.1/unix -ltcl8.1 -ldl  -lsocket -lnsl
-lm

# Auxiliary stuff for the Tcl library.
LIB_INSTALL_DIR = ${exec_prefix}/lib

# Tk library
# (the configure script should find it; if not, edit below)
TK_LIB = -L/opt/sfw/SN452-build/tk8.1/unix -ltk8.1

# Linker switch(es) to use to link with the X11 library archive (the
# configure script will try to set this value automatically, but you
# can override it).
X11_LIB = -L/usr/openwin/lib -lX11

# Libraries to use when linking:  must include at least Tk, Tcl, Xlib,
# and the math library (in that order).  The "-lm " part will be
# replaced (or has already been replaced) with relevant libraries as
# determined by the configure script.
ifeq ($(OBJEXT),obj)
LIBS = $(TK_LIB)
$(TCL_LIB)
********* LINE 75
else
LIBS = $(TK_LIB) $(TCL_LIB) $(X11_LIB) -lm  -lm
endif

                                          -- when running Solaris make with
-dd option I get this

                                          .............(lots of preceeding
stuff)

stat(Makefile)
doname(Makefile)
 Looking for % rule for Makefile
 find_double_suffix_rule(Makefile)
 find_suffix_rule(Makefile,Makefile,)
stat(Makefile)
ROOTNAME= itcl
VERSION= 1.5
PACKAGE= $(ROOTNAME)-$(VERSION)
OBJEXT= o
prefix= /usr/local
exec_prefix= ${prefix}
LIB_DIR= ${exec_prefix}/lib
INCLUDE_DIR= ${prefix}/include
BIN_DIR= ${exec_prefix}/bin
TCL_INC= -I/opt/sfw/SN452-source/tcl8.1/generic
TK_INC= -I/opt/sfw/SN452-source/tk8.1/generic
X11_INC= -I/usr/openwin/include
TCL_LIB= -L/opt/sfw/SN452-build/tcl8.1/unix -ltcl8.1 -ldl  -lsocket -lnsl -lm
LIB_INSTALL_DIR= ${exec_prefix}/lib
TK_LIB= -L/opt/sfw/SN452-build/tk8.1/unix -ltk8.1
X11_LIB= -L/usr/openwin/lib -lX11
make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 75: Unexpected end of line seen
Current working directory /opt/sfw/SN452-build/itcl/src
stat(.DONE)
doname(.DONE)
 Looking for % rule for .DONE
 find_double_suffix_rule(.DONE)
*** Error code 1
  stat(.make.state)
  stat(../../SN452-source/itcl/.make.state)
  stat(.make.state)
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
Current working directory /opt/sfw/SN452-build/itcl
  stat(.DONE)
  stat(../../SN452-source/itcl/.DONE)