* SN 5.0 html docs
@ 2001-09-05 12:59 Doug Fraser
From: Doug Fraser @ 2001-09-05 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Just a small note.

Has anyone else noticed that the HTML docs
included in the source navigator 5.0 tarball
are messed up? Several files are truncated.
I am using the 4.5 docs for now, I don't know
how much has changed in the docs. Some people
might not like them (they are frames based)
but they looked slick, for what little bit
worked. So far, so good on the tool itself.
I thought I might mention the docs here just
because perhaps no one else has.

I have noticed a couple of editor quirks, but
I cannot really characterize them yet.
Basically, you can sometimes change a line, and
it won't appear as changed, that is, it is
colorized in place as you type. When you try
to save, there is no 'Save' box (it is grayed)
and exiting without saving at that point trashes
the file. You can 'save as' or sometimes you
can alter another line and get the save dialog
back.

I brought it up purely for code browsing (I use GVIM)
but one of my coworkers is a WinDoze refuge and
he missed the editor a lot. However, SN5.0
makes him smile, until it pulls the above trick...

This tool does provide a lot of bang for the buck!
When I was stuck on WinDoze NT a couple years back,
I lived on Visual SlikEdit, and this does many of
those things for much less.

Another thing, I have a method of collecting file
path names into a text file, and a shell script that
filters those relative path names into a temp file
as full path names and starting source navigator
using the created temp file as an import file.
It works okay and lets us set up pseudo-projects
that can be stored in CVS and shared between
developers. If anyone is interested in the shell
script I will attach it to the list. Sure, it could
have been prettier in TCL, but I don't know TCL.....

cheers

Doug Fraser

* Re: SN 5.0 html docs
@ 2001-09-05 13:31 ` Peter Milne
From: Peter Milne @ 2001-09-05 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Fraser; +Cc: sourcenav

Doug Fraser wrote:

>Another thing, I have a method of collecting file
>path names into a text file, and a shell script that
>filters those relative path names into a temp file
>as full path names and starting source navigator
>using the created temp file as an import file.
>It works okay and lets us set up pseudo-projects
>that can be stored in CVS and shared between
>developers. If anyone is interested in the shell
>script I will attach it to the list. Sure, it could
>have been prettier in TCL, but I don't know TCL.....

Script sounds great. Please let us see it.
Having a project with full path names is no good when you want to use it
from different
workareas.

* RE: SN 5.0 html docs
@ 2001-09-06  4:52 Doug Fraser
From: Doug Fraser @ 2001-09-06  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hello,

Attached below is a simple shell script and a description of a
file list that it uses to generate 'import' files that can be
used to manage pseudo projects that can be stored in CVS.
It allows developers to share a common files list with relative
paths and generates full local paths useable by snavigator.

Enjoy.

Embellishments and feedback welcome. Send it to the whole group.

Doug

So, our source tree is broken up into subdirectories that
support individual targets (boards), with each subdirectory
broken into at the least; src, include, drv, and build
The relative tree might look like this:

     ./product/board1
     ./product/board2
     ./product/board3

and a given board would look like:

     ./product/board1/src
     ./product/board1/drv
     ./product/board1/include
     ./product/board1/build

and we also have a common area for shared headers and build scripts

     ./common/include

We added a subdirectory to each board, named snlst.
It holds one or more files that list the source and include
files used to create a process that runs on that board.
So add another directory

     ./product/board1/snlst

The contents and format of that file are as follows:

src/ThisClass.cc
src/ThatClass.cc
src/AnotherClass.cc
src/SomeClient.cc
src/BigServer.cc
../common/include/BaseClass.h
include/ThisClass.h
include/ThatClass.h
include/AnotherClass.h
include/SomeClient.h
include/BigServer.h

If you are currently in the board directory (for example, ./product/board1),
you can run the following script (I call it snrun), and it will display a
menu
listing the files that you have created in the snlst directory, and if you
select a valid file, it creates a /tmp/file (unique) that provides full path
names to your source suitable for snavigator. It then starts snavigator with
a temporary project file. When you close out the session, all the files are
removed.

This script is written in KSH, that is what I use, but should port easily to
other shells as well.

#!/bin/ksh

if [ ! -d snlst ]
then
    echo No snlst directory in this node.
    exit
fi

PS3="select product> "
FILELST=`find snlst -maxdepth 1 -type f -print`
select PRODUCT in $FILELST
do
    case $PRODUCT in
        $FILELST)
	break
        ;;

	*)
	;;
    esac

    if [ ! -d $PRODUCT ]
    then
        PRODUCT=`basename $PRODUCT`
        break
    fi

done

print "You selected $REPLY ) $PRODUCT"

HERE=`pwd`/
TMP=/tmp/snrun

# create and chmod the tmp dir. Redirect to /dev/null if it
# already exists....
mkdir ${TMP} > /dev/null 2>&1
chmod 777 ${TMP} > /dev/null 2>&1

IMPORT=${TMP}/${PRODUCT}$$.import
PROJ=${TMP}/${PRODUCT}$$.proj
LIST=${HERE}/snlst/${PRODUCT}

trap "rm ${IMPORT} ${PROJ} > /dev/null 2>&1" EXIT INT TERM QUIT

# Yup. That is a magic sed script. The contents of the first [] pair
# is a tab and a space
sed -e 's/^[ 	]*//' -e '/^$/d' -e "s?^?${HERE}?" ${LIST} | while read F
do
if [ -f ${F} ]
then
print ${F}