* Upgrading windows SN broke grep!
@ 2001-09-14 15:54 Gene Fodor
From: Gene Fodor @ 2001-09-14 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

It seems as though SN 5.0 is having trouble finding grep.  Here is the not
so helpful error message I get:

-code error -errorinfo couldn't execute "grep": invalid argument
	while executing
"open "| ${cmd} " ?nonprintable char?" -errorcode POSIX EINVAL {invalid
argument} couldn't execute "grep": invalid argument

I have a feeling that it is using the wrong grep and have tried a couple of
things to try to get it to see it, but without success.  Any ideas?  I was
using the Enterprise version (pre-RedHat) of Source Navigator before upgrading.

Thanks,

Gene

* Re: Upgrading windows SN broke grep!
@ 2001-09-14 16:06 ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-09-14 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Fodor; +Cc: sourcenav

Gene Fodor wrote:

> It seems as though SN 5.0 is having trouble finding grep.  Here is the not
> so helpful error message I get:
>
> -code error -errorinfo couldn't execute "grep": invalid argument
>         while executing
> "open "| ${cmd} " ?nonprintable char?" -errorcode POSIX EINVAL {invalid
> argument} couldn't execute "grep": invalid argument

Can you run grep from the command line?

What do you find if you search for grep.exe in Window explorer find files
thingy?

> I have a feeling that it is using the wrong grep and have tried a couple of
> things to try to get it to see it, but without success.  Any ideas?  I was
> using the Enterprise version (pre-RedHat) of Source Navigator before upgrading.

Looks like your going to have to find the right grep and put it on your path
in front of which ever grep Sourcen-Navigator is or isn't finding.

Ian.

* Re: Upgrading windows SN broke grep!
@ 2001-09-14 17:00   ` Gene Fodor
From: Gene Fodor @ 2001-09-14 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Ian,

Well, I tried messing with my path a bit, but SN still could not find grep.
 I also noticed that hyper.exe seemed to be eating all my CPU time when I
wasn't really trying to do anything.  I have decided to downgrade to 4.52
as I don't seem to have these problems with that version.

Other things that I noticed are:

The version of grep that I use in cygwin and SN seem to be the same (using
--version both reported 2.2), although I did not do a binary diff.

The message would alternatively say "bad file number" or some such.

Regards,

Gene

@ 2001-09-14 17:09     ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-09-14 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Fodor; +Cc: sourcenav

Gene Fodor wrote:
> Well, I tried messing with my path a bit, but SN still could not find grep.
>  I also noticed that hyper.exe seemed to be eating all my CPU time when I
> wasn't really trying to do anything.  I have decided to downgrade to 4.52
> as I don't seem to have these problems with that version.

4.52 handles grep in a different way.  5.0 tries to avoid using a custom grep
by using GNU grep.  This almost works (Format is broken), it has it's advantages
and it's disadvantages.

> Other things that I noticed are:
>
> The version of grep that I use in cygwin and SN seem to be the same (using
> --version both reported 2.2), although I did not do a binary diff.

Hmmmm, I can't remember if the custom changes (used by 4.x.x versions only)
is in the cygwin grep or has been removed.

> The message would alternatively say "bad file number" or some such.

Strange.

I would be interest to know why hyper.exe is using up all your process
time.  That sounds like a nasty bug.

Ian.