If we did have the back end torn off of SN, would that make everything that used also GPL? Can we take SN type GPL code, turn it into a library, and then use it in an LGPL way? What if we had some sort of Corba type middle ware that provided a decent distributed API, without actually linking the code in. Would any application that connected to it still be bound by the GPL? I am trying to find out here if there is any room for commercial developers to contribute to SN. It would be a shame to let it all go to waste. Thanks, Robert > From: Mo DeJong > To: "Eray Ozkural (exa)" > Cc: sourcenav at sources dot redhat dot com > Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:45:27 -0800 > Subject: Re: SourceNav release ... > I think the right solution is to turn the SN backend into a > library. Even if you don't reuse the code, the ideas that are > there have years of effort behind them and they do work. It should > make use of Berkeley DB to store symbols but through an API so > that people can swap out other database layers if they want to. It > should also provide a nice two phase parse and dump into symbol DB > sequence that is easily inspected. Just figuring out what and > where the problem with a parser is can be the most difficult part > of fixing a problem. Also, it is absolutely critical that a well > defined regression test framework is developed as part of the > library.