Doug Fraser wrote: > If you link in a library, your new work embodies that library, and > thus is covered by the license of the underlying library. If that were > not so, then any OpenSource project could be turned into a library > in order to void the GPL. So the act of linking to a library binds your > work to the underlying license. Deriving a library from a GPL product > conveys GPL status to that library, since the library is a derivative work. > > Which, in the spirit of the tool and the spirit of OpenSource, is > as it should be. However, I can't see that it would keep you from > developing an extended IDE if the rest of the IDE communicated to > SN through an API that did not require linking. CORBA as you say > or a database. All other issues aside, using Corba or something as a workaround would not be in the collaborative spirit of open source. That is why I am wondering about an LGPL version of the SN backend. Thanks to all for listening, - Rob