* Sorry, but... this project is still alive?
@ 2002-04-11  2:45 Emilio Riva
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Emilio Riva @ 2002-04-11  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

It's a lot of time that Sorce Navigator development seems to be stopped (no
new releases, no news): are you still working on it? I've only found a
SourceForge project to extend the graphic interface...
There are a lot of little problems with actual release of snavigator:
Project Editor don't work correctly, the cross-reference functionality
hangs frequently with big project trees, it's not easy to extend syntax
(i.e. like in vim or scintilla text editor)... And what about adding
doxygen/javadoc extended comment support? And an easier way to extend user
menu, configuration tools,...? And a better support for teams of developers
working on the same project tree and on the same (big) server? I mean, in
this case the cross reference database should be shared, not duplicated for
every developer...
I think that snavigator is a great tool, and I hope you'll find the time to
continue it's development and optimization.

thank you,
Emilio Riva

[parent not found: <OFEB4C67B6.B80BFBDA-ONC1256B98.002EFD1E@uk.marconicomms.co m>]
* Re: Sorry, but... this project is still alive?
@ 2002-04-12  0:03 Emilio Riva
From: Emilio Riva @ 2002-04-12  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: irox; +Cc: sourcenav

I don't know if I'll be able to do something useful... sooner or later I'd
like to join to an Open Source project: how do you organize your work? via
Web CVS?

Emilio

@ 2002-04-12  0:16 Emilio Riva
From: Emilio Riva @ 2002-04-12  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Brune <bill_brune; +Cc: sourcenav

As I said, this is a good work... anyway, it's not bug-free.
the navigator (in particular, "hyper" task)  hangs a lot of times in our
software tree, maybe for the presence of relatively complex macros... is
there a way to catch some error messages? I could post these messages to
the developers to help understanding the problem.
When you switch to another editor (gvim, scite, xemacs,...) you loose the
context menu... I'm wrong? Is there the possibility to interface an
external editor with Source Navigator? Somewhere I saw a project that
integrates gvim with cscope, that's a similar approach.

Emilio

Sent by:  brune@ltx.com

To:   Emilio Riva <Emilio.Riva@marconi.com>
cc:   sourcenav@sources.redhat.com

Subject:  Re: Sorry, but... this project is still alive?

Hi all,

Well, for me, this tool is a boon for my development problems.  I have to
deal
with
over 10 Million lines of C++ spread over some 900 directories with no real
organization.
Source Nav builds a database in about 4 hours and then I don't have to care
where anything lives.
It tells me exactly what I want to know, where things are declared and
where
things are implemented. and
then zaps me to them.  Perfect.

I don't care for the editor, so I modified a button on the editor pane
to pop up gvim on the current file to edit it, and I fixed the
revision-control functions to check-in and out of clearcase.
The rest is perfect.   The include map is something to behold (at least for
my
code), and the class tree is just great.

This tool is a piece of work.  Thanks to everyone.

-Bill Brune

@ 2002-04-12  7:19 Left Spin
From: Left Spin @ 2002-04-12  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

I think the number one barrier to entry for working on this project is the
lack of a good debug environment. Issuing messages to the log file is too
slow and cumbersome. When I mentioned the TclPro debugger, which has a great
interface, I got no response. When I'm able to, I'll work on building TclPro
v1.5 for Windows so I can work on SN. I had previously used a trial period
version of the Aspen release, and I was begining to figure out the SN code
base. My trial period has expired, but I am convinced using log file
deugging techniques will be too slow to work on SN with. Please keep in mind
that people new to working on this product will have to learn tcl/tk,
itcl/itk, the SN code base, and probably other packages I'm not even aware
of yet. It's a very large task. A good debugging package is essential to
getting more people to work on SN.

Thanks,