* Source navigator and ADA 95
@ 2002-05-21 11:03 Deschenaux, Celine
From: Deschenaux, Celine @ 2002-05-21 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'sourcenav@sources.redhat.com'

Hello,

The company division I work for does most of its coding in ADA95 in a
Windows NT environment.  The projects we work on are quite big and complex.
I am currently searching for a tool that will generate useful information
such as call trees and graphical representations of the class inheritance
structure of our programs. We need a product that can provide a
comprehensive set of code visualization and navigation tools that will help
development teams to have a better view of the the structure, dependencies,
and flow of complex applications, among other things.
Many of the features of your product seem interesting, but most of the
information given is related to C, C++ and Java applications. I would like
to know if all the features described are (or will be) also available (or
have their equivalent) for ADA95. Please feel free to give me any additional
information about your product.
Thank you,
Celine Descheneaux.

* Re: Source navigator and ADA 95
@ 2002-05-21 11:22 ` Richard F Weber
From: Richard F Weber @ 2002-05-21 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deschenaux, Celine; +Cc: 'sourcenav@sources.redhat.com'

A long long time ago, I tried to write a parser/high-lighter for Ada & Source
navigator that would do what you are looking to do.  Unfortunately, my knowledge
of parsers and my knowledge of Ada are/were a hinderance on it.

I've got some code on sourceforge that you can download and take a look at if
you want.  Consider it Pre-Alpha to Alpha.  It does some things right, but the
very complicated inheritences and what-not it doesn't and won't.

The project homepage is at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/adaparse/

I'm not planning on maintaining it, but I'd hate to lose it because it is at
least a start in the right direction.  Let me know if you want to take over
maintainership of it.  Hopefully somebody can get it farther than what I can.

On a similar but side note, I did write a tool that would graphically display
the entire "use" list, as far as who is using what, and who is used by what.  I
used it to show how freaking complicated our one Ada application is wrt it's
inheritence listing.  It's a script set to run on Linux.  I'll see if I can dig
it out, it may be of interest.

--Rich