* RE: Question about the snavigator compliation under win98
       [not found] <26F9F6EAB586D411850700B0D049E6E410BE03@shasta.pdx.steptech .com>
@ 2002-03-18 11:50 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-03-18 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wally Kramer, sourcenav

Wally,

I think you've got it backward. A Unix-mode mount (a.k.a. "binmode") causes
the Cygwin "kernel" (cygwin1.dll) _not_ to alter file contents during I/O
operations, so when a Cygwin program writes a single newline to a file,
that's what goes into the file. With a text-mode mount, the Cygwin
emulation layer must perform the translation. Naturally, the reverse occurs
during reading.

I don't want to impose that translation because of the performance penalty
of applying a ubiquitous (and non-in-place) transformation on all text I/O
that happens within Cygwin, which is where I do all my Windows-based
programming.

It seems to me that the onus of providing a compatible version of any given
piece of software should be on the author or porter, not the user.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

@ 2002-03-18 11:12 Wally Kramer

       [not found] <26F9F6EAB586D411850700B0D049E6E4014D2EDC@shasta.pdx.stepte ch.com>
@ 2002-03-18 11:02 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-03-18 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Edson, Wu Fan, sourcenav

@ 2002-03-18  8:51 Bruce Edson

I am trying to compile the source navigator under win98 platform, according
to the readme file, would you mail me the
  rational build instructions.

Actually, I have tried many times under win98, it is always cann't found my
VC6, I have this kind of environment:

c:\cygwin
c:\progra~1\micros~3\vc98
c:\snvaigator

PATH=$PATH:/cygdrive/c/progra~1\micros~3\vc98

During it execute the .../snavigator/source/db/configure
It will report :
"Checking for the Microsoft VC++ ..." no

Any comments is highly appreciated!!

Regards

Wu Fan
Telecom Operations

SchlumbergerSema Asia Pacific
Add:5rd floor, Lido Office Tower, Lido Place,
Jichang Road, Beijing 100004, P.R.C
E-mail: wufan@beijing.sema.slb.com
Tel:  +8610 64376668 ext 675
Fax: +8610 64301538
Website:  www.slb.com

This message will traverse the public Internet in the process
of delivery to its intended recipient on the SEMA network, and
therefore may be intercepted by third parties. This message does
not include any information that is classified as Schlumberger
Confidential or Schlumberger Secret
CODE:XT7084

* Re: Question about the snavigator compliation under win98
@ 2002-03-18  8:21 dave.banham
From: dave.banham @ 2002-03-18  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Isn't it about time that there was an unpdated MS Windows binary release
for SN? The release 5.0 binary is full of bugs and I am personally still
using version 4.5.2 as a result.

Best Regards
Dave Banham

* Question about the snavigator compliation under win98
@ 2002-03-18  4:15 Wu Fan