From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: "Khamis Abuelkomboz (UUNET)" <khamis@knuut.de>
Cc: sourcenav@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: bug fix for goto problem
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 12:09:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>>>>> "Khamis" == Khamis Abuelkomboz (UUNET) <khamis@knuut.de> writes:

Khamis> since I want to work with SN5.0, because it's alot faster,
Khamis> I was forced to fix another nasty bug....

Khamis> copy attatched to <SN>/share/sourcenav/gui

Hi Khamis.

It is traditional to send bug fixes as context- or uni-diffs.  Sending
replacement files is bad because it takes up a lot more bandwidth
(typically).  Diffs are also superior because they let the maintainers
immediately see what has changed.  Less work for maintainers means
that patches go in more quickly, and everybody is happier.

If you have SN checked out of cvs you can use "cvs diff -u" or "cvs
diff -c" to create a diff.

Otherwise you have to use "diff -u" or "diff -c" by hand (and remember
to keep the original around).

It's also good to write a ChangeLog entry and send it with the patch.
This also makes it easier for developers to check in patches (I don't
know about SN but on other projects I work on a ChangeLog entry is a
prerequisite to any commit).

I don't work on SN.  I just happened to see two humongous email
messages in my inbox this morning and thought I would send email about
it.

Tom