* RE: configure doesn't find cl
@ 2001-09-21 21:04 Stojanovic, Marta
From: Stojanovic, Marta @ 2001-09-21 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mark Thornber', Syd Polk; +Cc: 'sourcenav@sources.redhat.com'

Hello Syd & Mark !

Thank you very much for your help, that worked fine. In fact, when you sent
me that tip, I recalled having that problem before, but I then managed to
find the solution by myself (although, I didn't manage to remember it, as
you see ... I'm getting very old). The problem is in this : instead of
typing "export CC=cl" I typed by mistake just "CC=cl" on the command line
the first time I used configure. When I ran configure, of course it didn't
find CC, so it took gcc instead ... and put it in config.cache. Afterwards I
realized that I should have used "export ...", but it wouldn't work. Now,
there is probably a way to tell configure not to use cached info, but I'm
not aware of it. It's rather frustrating to make all those changes to the
environment to accomodate configure, while it never uses them if it once
stored all the environment in config.cache ... Anyway, thanks a lot ! Hope
my grey cells will remember it next time ...

Kind regards,
Marta.

Marta,

Syd Polk wrote:

> Stojanovic, Marta wrote:
>

>>Hi all !
>>
>>I don't know what I'm doing wrong : I used to build SN without any
problems
>>on Win2000 using cygwin and MSVC6, but now when I'm trying configure again
>>it gives the following message :

>>checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
>>

> Try removing the file "config.cache". Actually, blow away your build
> directory and reconfigure.
I strongly suggest the latter course - trying to work out how to get

configure / autoconf / automake / libtool to take notice of configuration
changes is a

_very_ black art.

--MarkT

* RE: configure doesn't find cl
@ 2001-09-23  0:18 Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2001-09-23  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: 'sourcenav@sources.redhat.com'

Believe me, you want config.cache to work. configure would take four to
five times as long without config.cache.

Stojanovic, Marta wrote:

>Hello Syd & Mark !
>
>Thank you very much for your help, that worked fine. In fact, when you sent
>me that tip, I recalled having that problem before, but I then managed to
>find the solution by myself (although, I didn't manage to remember it, as
>you see ... I'm getting very old). The problem is in this : instead of
>typing "export CC=cl" I typed by mistake just "CC=cl" on the command line
>the first time I used configure. When I ran configure, of course it didn't
>find CC, so it took gcc instead ... and put it in config.cache. Afterwards I
>realized that I should have used "export ...", but it wouldn't work. Now,
>there is probably a way to tell configure not to use cached info, but I'm
>not aware of it. It's rather frustrating to make all those changes to the
>environment to accomodate configure, while it never uses them if it once
>stored all the environment in config.cache ... Anyway, thanks a lot ! Hope
>my grey cells will remember it next time ...
>
>Kind regards,
>Marta.
>

>Marta,
>
>Syd Polk wrote:
>
>> Stojanovic, Marta wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all !
>>>
>>>I don't know what I'm doing wrong : I used to build SN without any
>problems
>>>on Win2000 using cygwin and MSVC6, but now when I'm trying configure again
>>>it gives the following message :

>>>checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
>>>

>> Try removing the file "config.cache". Actually, blow away your build
>> directory and reconfigure.
>I strongly suggest the latter course - trying to work out how to get
>
>configure / autoconf / automake / libtool to take notice of configuration
>changes is a
>
>_very_ black art.
>

>--MarkT

Syd Polk
jazzman@bayarea.net                 http://www.bayarea.net/~jazzman
"Let the music be your light." -- Dave Edwards, KUHF-FM, 1982

* Re: configure doesn't find cl
@ 2001-09-21  2:39 ` Mark Thornber
From: Mark Thornber @ 2001-09-21  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syd Polk; +Cc: Stojanovic, Marta, 'sourcenav@sources.redhat.com'

Marta,

@ 2001-09-20 22:02 Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2001-09-20 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stojanovic, Marta, 'sourcenav@sources.redhat.com'

Stojanovic, Marta wrote:

>Hi all !
>
>I don't know what I'm doing wrong : I used to build SN without any problems
>on Win2000 using cygwin and MSVC6, but now when I'm trying configure again
>it gives the following message :

>checking for gcc... (cached) gcc

Try removing the file "config.cache". Actually, blow away your build
directory and reconfigure.

>checking whether the C compiler (gcc -Z7 -Od ) works... no
>configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
>creat
>e executables.
>Configure in /cygdrive/d/Marta/SN452build/db failed, exiting.
>
>It shouldn't be gcc there, it should find cl (I define both CC=cl and
>CFLAGS="-Z7 -Od" before starting configure). And yes, I ran VCVARS32.BAT to
>set MSVC env. variables ... I looked in configure.cache, no sign of cl (but
>: ac_cv_prog_gcc=${ac_cv_prog_gcc='yes'}). I checked the PATH, and played
>with it : cygwin puts /usr/local/bin, /usr/bin etc. before everything else,
>but I tried putting MSVC bin directory first, without succes. I even tried
>to give CC the full path to cl, still no succes.
>
>It worked fine before, so there must be something that I've changed, but I
>don't know what that can be. Any suggestions ? I'd really appreciate it.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Kind regards,
>Marta.

* configure doesn't find cl