* RE: Installing SourceNavunder linux
@ 2001-09-06 14:55 David Robinson (AU)
From: David Robinson (AU) @ 2001-09-06 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'wiegert@telus.net', SourceNav Mail list

You can find it in the mailing list archives.
I have attached a copy below for your convenience.

David.

INSTALL.TXT

Binary Install:

To install a binary release of Source-Navigator, extract the
files from the archive and add the sourcenav-5.0.1/bin
directory to your PATH. There is no need to run an installer.
You can run Source-Navigator from the command line using the
snavigator script. Windows users can also double-click on
the snavigator.exe executable in the Windows Explorer.

Generic Build Notes:

These build/install instructions assume that you have already
downloaded and extracted the files from the zip or tar file.

We suggest building outside of the source directory. This way, all
build related files for a specific architecture are stored outside
of the source directory. This makes it easy to build multiple
executables from a single source tree.

We suggest building outside of the src directory, this might
be a new concept for most users, but it is really quite simple
once you get the hang of it. With a build dir, all build
related files for a specific architecture are stored outside
of the src directory, so you can build multiple executables
from the same source tree.

UNIX Build:

To build under a UNIX system, simply create a build directory
and run the configure script. The following commands assume
the release is 5.0.1 and that the user wants to install
into a non-default location (/usr/sourcenav).

% mkdir snbuild ; cd snbuild
% ../sourcenav-5.0.1/configure --prefix=/usr/sourcenav
% make
% make install

Windows Build (VC++):

Building under Windows is more tricky when compared to the UNIX
build. Be sure to follow the build instructions exactly. Note
that VC++ 6.0 is the only supported compiler at this time.

Windows versions of Source-Navigator are created using the VC++
compiler and Cygwin. One needs to run the vcvars32.bat script
to setup the needed env vars. Typically, this is done by starting
command.com on Windows 95/98 or cmd.exe under NT, then
run the vcvars32.bat script in the VC++ bin directory.

After VC++ env vars are setup, start a bash shell by cd'ing to
the Cygwin root directory and running cygwin.bat. In the bash
shell, run the following commands.

% export CC=cl
% export CFLAGS="-Z7 -Od"

You can now run the configure script in the normal way. Of course,
there are a couple of things to take note of. First, the configure
script must be run with a relative path (../sourcenav-5.0.1/configure).
Second, the --prefix path must be passed as a fully qualified Windows
style path containing forward slashes (like D:/Cygwin/usr/sourcenav).
The following example shows how /usr/sourcenav mounted at
D:/Cygwin/usr/sourcenav would be passed.

% mkdir snbuild ; cd snbuild
% ../sourcenav-5.0.1/configure --prefix=D:/Cygwin/usr/sourcenav
% make
% make install