From: dave.banham@tde.alstom.com
To: sourcenav@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: xref and referred by?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 03:01:00 -0000	[thread overview]

My project is 100% (embedded) C code and I still have problems with xref. I hope
that when the C++ parser is fixed that the C parsing capabilities will be
improved too.

BTW, I notice that sometimes when I right click on a variable in the editor
window and select Find Implementation of 'xyz' that nothing happens, but when I
select Find Declaration of 'xyz' SN puts up a window asking me choose one of two
files to view. The first file is always a .h file and when selected it shows a
line with the variable declared extern. Whilst the second file is the .c and
shows the line where the variable is implemented (or is that declared?) If I
then click on the variable's declared type (which is a typedef'd type), Find
Implementation does nothing and Find Declaration switches (correctly) to the
file containing the typedef statement for the type. If I now repeat this for the
type name (in the typedef statement), Find Implementation does nothing and Find
Declaration highlights the type name. Using Xref on the type name, shows that
xref doesn't know where the type is used either.

Oddly enough, Find Implementation and Find Declaration work fine for function
names, as does Xref. Is the cross-reference information broken for variables and
types or was it never intended to cover variables and types? (If so why not?)

Regards
Dave Banham

"Berek" <berek@usa.net> on 18/10/2000 16:00:37

Please respond to "Berek" <berek@usa.net>

To:   Dave BANHAM/PCS/PCG/TDE/GECALSTHOM@GA
cc:

The xref seems to be pretty good with std C; however, it's not reliable with
C++, and no, you can't rely on it even if it's reporting some references.
Until they eliminate the C++ parsing problems, you'll have to keep verifying
xrefs with grep.