* Re: Debugging under Windows environment
@ 2002-03-05 12:57 Left Spin
From: Left Spin @ 2002-03-05 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spolk, bruce; +Cc: sourcenav

>>1. What is the best way to go about debugging the application, and/or my
>>changes?
>>
>>2. Do I debug from within Cygwin, or Windows?
>>

>Since you have used the Microsoft compiler, using the Visual Studio
>debugger is the correct way.
>
>However, unless you are in the C code, I would use the hyper console
>interactively to debug your tcl code.

I'd like more details on how to activate the hyper console. Thanks.

* Debugging under Windows environment
@ 2002-03-05 12:02 Bruce Edson
From: Bruce Edson @ 2002-03-05 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sourcenav (E-mail)

I have successfully built Source Navigator on Windows 2000 under the Cygwin
bash shell.  I am now in the process of making modifications/enhancements to
the application.  I now need to embark on debugging changes and have some
questions.

1. What is the best way to go about debugging the application, and/or my
changes?

2. Do I debug from within Cygwin, or Windows?

3. What tool is best to use, and does it have the typical debug
capabilities? (assuming I can't use MS VC++ Visual Studio)

4. How do I build a debuggable version of the application?

5. Where is there documentation about debugging in this environment?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce Edson
bruce@steptech.com

* Re: Debugging under Windows environment
@ 2002-03-05 12:02 Left Spin
From: Left Spin @ 2002-03-05 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce, sourcenav

I started debugging the SourceNavigator Tcl scripts using TclPro v1.5. This
"visual" debugger worked very well, and I found a couple problems and fixed
them in the SourceNavigator code. Unfortunately, I could only get the Active
State Aspen release to work, and after the one month trial period, it cost
$450. (this was under windows) TclPro was released under GPL after having
been a commercial product. The source code for TclPro is in SourceForge, but
I haven't been able to get my Win2K machine configured to gain access to the
CVS server. Looks like there is an easy way to configure if you're using
Win95. I've been meaning to try this from home, but I haven't had the time.
I highly reccomend TclPro's debugger. I tried version 1.4, which there are
freely available binaries, but I couldn't get it to work. There isn't a free
windows release yet.

Let me know if you have any questions. I love SN, and I'd like to enhance
it. I read all about Tcl, TK, and iTk just to work on it. I'm stymied by the
lack of good debugging options for Tcl. TclPro is very good, but the
SourceForge community doesn't have a windows release yet.

Thanks.