From: "Berek Half-hand" <berek@usa.net>
To: <sourcenav@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Subject: RE: replace (plain text)
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 12:09:00 -0000	[thread overview]

You refer to the fact that SN is incapable of producing a xref for any of
the C++ and Java code bases I've worked on for the past 3 1/2 years as "a
bug"? That it's not as important as upgrading to TCL/TK 8.3? Frankly, IMHO,
the xref capability of SN is by far the most important feature of the
product. Of all the tools that allow people to come up to speed on a new
code base and for understanding new and existing functionality, the xref is
by far the most useful and important. I've only seen SN xref work on the
most trivial of code bases. You call this "whining" [smile]? And, BTW, it's
not one bug. it's many.

I just sent a small part of my latest code base to a cohort of yours in the
UK. I included screen captures of a couple of bugs, including (MS Visual
Studio) memory, registers, error messages, disassembly at the location of
the error (access violation in dbimp) and all of the source code he needed
to reproduce and solve the problem. His response was that it was too much
info for him to download and that he was reluctant to receive source code
that didn't belong to me (it belongs to my employers). He then asked me if I
could provide him with an "example" of the source code that caused the
problem [AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!]. Is there something wrong with this or
is it me?