* RE: Can't configure in source dir..
@ 2000-10-10 13:26 William Gacquer
From: William Gacquer @ 2000-10-10 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike A. Harris, sourcenav

cut and paste this ...

---------------------sn_install.sh-----------------------
#! /bin/bash
echo "Welcome to SourceNavigator"
tar xvfz SN452.tgz
cd SN452-source
mkdir linuxdist
cd linuxdist
../configure --prefix=/usr/local/snavigator
make
make install
chmod -R a+r /usr/local/snavigator
cd ../..
rm -rf SN452-source
echo "SN was installed in /usr/local/snavigator"
exit 0

----------------------sn.sh------------------------------
#! /bin/bash
export SN=/usr/local/snavigator
export PATH=$SN/bin:$PATH
snavigator

From: Mike A. Harris @ 2000-10-10 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Gacquer; +Cc: sourcenav

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, William Gacquer wrote:

>---------------------sn_install.sh-----------------------
>#! /bin/bash
>echo "Welcome to SourceNavigator"
>tar xvfz SN452.tgz
>cd SN452-source
>mkdir linuxdist
>cd linuxdist
>../configure --prefix=/usr/local/snavigator
>make
>make install
>chmod -R a+r /usr/local/snavigator
>cd ../..
>rm -rf SN452-source
>echo "SN was installed in /usr/local/snavigator"
>exit 0
>
>----------------------sn.sh------------------------------
>#! /bin/bash
>export SN=/usr/local/snavigator
>export PATH=$SN/bin:$PATH
>snavigator

AHHH!  Now _that_ makes it much more clear.  I think I can easily
work with that in RPM.  Thanks for the detailed instructions.

It seems to be working now..  Perhaps the upper level README
should be patched to give more detailed build instructions.  If
nobody feels like it, I'll volunteer to make the documentation
clearer if someone is willing to integrate my effort.

Thanks.

      Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open source advocate
              Computer Consultant - Capslock Consulting
                 Copyright 2000 all rights reserved

Red Hat FAQ tip: Having trouble upgrading RPM 3.0.x to RPM 4.0.x?  Upgrade
first to version 3.0.5, and then to 4.0.x.  All packages are available on
Red Hat's ftp sites:       ftp://ftp.redhat.com  ftp://rawhide.redhat.com

* Re: Can't configure in source dir..
@ 2000-10-10 15:25       ` Mike A. Harris
From: Mike A. Harris @ 2000-10-10 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: sourcenav

On 10 Oct 2000, Tom Tromey wrote:

>Mike> Any idea _why_ it does this?  I am almost positive 451 did not
>Mike> require this.  Looking at the configure script it appears that
>Mike> it is done for some internal cygnus reason..
>
>You can delete that code from the configure script.  It should have
>been removed before making the source available (I think).

Ok, thanks.  I've got it working as is right now, but if I need
to, I'll patch it out for the RPMS.. It seems to work now except
for a small disk space problem I just had.  ;o)

>If you want the full answer, I added that code to configure because in
>some cases -- namely, multilibbed target libraries -- it is not
>possible to configure in the source tree.  These cases do not affect
>S-N.

Ok, thanks.  One more question:

How much disk space does a complete build require?  I had quite a
bit of space and it filled the disk..

      Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open source advocate
              Computer Consultant - Capslock Consulting
                 Copyright 2000 all rights reserved

"If it isn't source, it isn't software."  -- NASA

* Re: Can't configure in source dir..
@ 2000-10-10 14:56     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-10-10 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike A. Harris; +Cc: Ian Roxborough, sourcenav

Mike> Any idea _why_ it does this?  I am almost positive 451 did not
Mike> require this.  Looking at the configure script it appears that
Mike> it is done for some internal cygnus reason..

You can delete that code from the configure script.  It should have
been removed before making the source available (I think).

If you want the full answer, I added that code to configure because in
some cases -- namely, multilibbed target libraries -- it is not
possible to configure in the source tree.  These cases do not affect
S-N.

Tom

* Re: Can't configure in source dir..
@ 2000-10-10 14:39         ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-10-10 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike A. Harris; +Cc: sourcenav

   I might not have been clear enough there.  What I meant is I tried
   what the README says, and it does not work.  Here is from the SN452
   top level readme:

   ----
   It is now possible to automatically configure and build a variety
   of tools with one command.  To build all of the tools contained
   herein, run the ``configure'' script here, e.g.:

           ./configure
           make

Yep, this is no longer true.  Someone want to update this?

   The instructions you all gave me though seem to work, so things are
   definitely looking better now.  ;o)  You guys give fast answers!  I
   went to get a coffee after writing my question and when I came back I
   had 3 answers!  ;o)  I like that.  ;o)

We've got coverage around the globe. :-)

Ben

* Re: Can't configure in source dir..
@ 2000-10-10 14:04       ` Mike A. Harris
From: Mike A. Harris @ 2000-10-10 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: sourcenav

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Ben Elliston wrote:

>Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 07:55:15 +1100 (EST)
>From: Ben Elliston <bje@redhat.com>
>To: Mike A. Harris <mharris@opensourceadvocate.org>
>Cc: Ian Roxborough <irox@redhat.com>, sourcenav@sourceware.cygnus.com
>Subject: Re: Can't configure in source dir..
>
>   I did try once, yes and it failed with a different error so I figured
>   I did it wrong and reverted to the initial defacto standard way as
>   documented in the README.
>
>It says this in the README?  Where?

I might not have been clear enough there.  What I meant is I
tried what the README says, and it does not work.  Here is from
the SN452 top level readme:

----
It is now possible to automatically configure and build a variety
of tools with one command.  To build all of the tools contained
herein, run the ``configure'' script here, e.g.:

        ./configure
        make
----

The instructions you all gave me though seem to work, so things
are definitely looking better now.  ;o)  You guys give fast
answers!  I went to get a coffee after writing my question and
when I came back I had 3 answers!  ;o)  I like that.  ;o)

>   Ouch, my brain hurts.  ;o)  This is the first time I've ever seen a
>   package require such an oddball build method.  ;o)  I'll try it
>   though.  It might be better to patch the build process than to try to
>   come up with a convoluted RPM build method to work around it.
>
>   Any idea _why_ it does this?  I am almost positive 451 did not require
>   this.  Looking at the configure script it appears that it is done for
>   some internal cygnus reason..  Is there a:
>
>It's a Cygnus build convention -- and it's extremely useful in a development
>environment, where it's undesirable to litter your source tree with object
>files.  Yes, it's a bit unusual, but it's better (IMHO) this way.

Right, I can see the usefulness now, especially if cross
building, however it should be documented more clearly in the
README or some other appropriate file.

Myself, I just create "clean" and "distclean" targets, or I
create the makefile to spew out .o's, and other output files into
an output dir of some kind.  I've never seen this particular
approach before though, so it threw me for a loop.  ;o)

TTYL

      Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open source advocate
              Computer Consultant - Capslock Consulting
                 Copyright 2000 all rights reserved

If you're looking for Linux books, guides, and other documentation, visit
the Linux Documentation Project homepage:  http://linuxdoc.org

* Re: Can't configure in source dir..
@ 2000-10-10 13:55     ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-10-10 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike A. Harris; +Cc: Ian Roxborough, sourcenav

@ 2000-10-10 13:51     ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-10-10 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike A. Harris, Ian Roxborough; +Cc: sourcenav

>Ouch, my brain hurts.  ;o)  This is the first time I've ever seen
>a package require such an oddball build method.  ;o)  I'll try it
>though.  It might be better to patch the build process than to
>try to come up with a convoluted RPM build method to work around
>it.
>
>Any idea _why_ it does this?  I am almost positive 451 did not
>require this.  Looking at the configure script it appears that it
>is done for some internal cygnus reason..  Is there a:
>
>./configure --Im-not-cygnus-so-dont-do-that

Building for multiple platforms for the same source tree is the reason why
we build in a separate directory. It looks like I used the wrong version of
autoconf to generate the configure file; I will investigate a patch soon.

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Can't configure in source dir..
@ 2000-10-10 13:46   ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-10-10 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

At 01:16 PM 10/10/00 -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
>On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
> > I get the following error after untarring the SN source, cd'ing
> > into the dir and trying to configure:
> >
> > 10 mharris@asdf:~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/SN452-source$ ./configure
> > Configuring for a i586-pc-linux-gnu host.
> > *** Cannot configure in source tree.
> > *** Make a parallel directory and configure there.
>
>Just build it in a build dir:
>
>mkdir build ; cd build
>../SN452/configure --prefix=...
>make
>make install
>
>That should do it.
>
>Mo DeJong
>Red Hat Inc

One major wrinkle is the source RPM's are basically set up to build the app
in the source tree. It is kind of hard to work around that. We will have to
solve this problem when we do our RPMs.

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Can't configure in source dir..
@ 2000-10-10 13:37   ` Mike A. Harris
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Mike A. Harris @ 2000-10-10 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Roxborough; +Cc: sourcenav

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Ian Roxborough wrote:

>Have you tried building out side of the the source tree?

I did try once, yes and it failed with a different error so I
figured I did it wrong and reverted to the initial defacto
standard way as documented in the README.

>E.g.
>
>$ mkdir /home/user/sn/src
>$ mkdir /home/user/sn/build
>$ cd /home/user/sn/src
>$ tar -xvzf ...../<sn-sources>.tar.gz
>$ cd /home/user/sn/build
>$ ../src/configure --prefix=/home/user/sn/install
>$ make all-snavigator
>$ make install-snavigator
>
>This should help.

Ouch, my brain hurts.  ;o)  This is the first time I've ever seen
a package require such an oddball build method.  ;o)  I'll try it
though.  It might be better to patch the build process than to
try to come up with a convoluted RPM build method to work around
it.

Any idea _why_ it does this?  I am almost positive 451 did not
require this.  Looking at the configure script it appears that it
is done for some internal cygnus reason..  Is there a:

./configure --Im-not-cygnus-so-dont-do-that

option at all?  ;o)

Thanks for the suggestion!  I'll give it a whirl.

TTYL

@ 2000-10-10 13:16 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-10-10 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

@ 2000-10-10 13:15 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-10-10 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike A. Harris; +Cc: sourcenav

Hi Mike,

   I get the following error after untarring the SN source, cd'ing
   into the dir and trying to configure:

   10 mharris@asdf:~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/SN452-source$ ./configure
   Configuring for a i586-pc-linux-gnu host.
   *** Cannot configure in source tree.
   *** Make a parallel directory and configure there.

   No matter what directory I put the sources in I get this.  I've got 3
   copies of the untarred sources right now and it still does not
   configure no matter what.  Looking at the configure script I find:

It means exactly what the error says: you can't run configure in the source
tree.  Instead, do this:

	$ mkdir build && cd build
	$ ../path/to/src/configure [--switches]

Sorry about the confusion.  Syd -- this is a good candidate for an FAQ.

Cheers, Ben

* Re: Can't configure in source dir..
@ 2000-10-10 13:12 ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2000-10-10 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike A. Harris; +Cc: sourcenav

Have you tried building out side of the the source tree?

E.g.

$ mkdir /home/user/sn/src
$ mkdir /home/user/sn/build
$ cd /home/user/sn/src
$ tar -xvzf ...../<sn-sources>.tar.gz
$ cd /home/user/sn/build
$ ../src/configure --prefix=/home/user/sn/install
$ make all-snavigator
$ make install-snavigator

This should help.

 Ian.

"Mike A. Harris" wrote:

> I get the following error after untarring the SN source, cd'ing
> into the dir and trying to configure:
>
> 10 mharris@asdf:~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/SN452-source$ ./configure
> Configuring for a i586-pc-linux-gnu host.
> *** Cannot configure in source tree.
> *** Make a parallel directory and configure there.
>
> No matter what directory I put the sources in I get this.  I've
> got 3 copies of the untarred sources right now and it still does
> not configure no matter what.  Looking at the configure script I
> find:
>
> # Don't allow builds at Cygnus to be done with
> srcdir==builddir.  We
> # can assume srcdir==. in this case, because of code above.
> if test "$srcdir" = .; then
>    echo '***' "Cannot configure in source tree." >&2
>    echo '***' "Make a parallel directory and configure
> there." >&2
>    exit 1
> fi
>
> Short of removing this line from the script, what is the
> recommended method to build this thing.  ;o)  I just followed the
> instructions in the top level README file and it does not work.
>
> 10 mharris@asdf:~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/SN452-source$ ./configure
> --prefix=/opt/source-navigator --srcdir=.
> Configuring for a i586-pc-linux-gnu host.
> *** Cannot configure in source tree.
> *** Make a parallel directory and configure there.
>
> $ ./configure --prefix=/opt/source-navigator \
>         --srcdir=. --secretdecoderring=~/.decoderrings/sourcenav.ring
> configure: Unrecognized
> option: "--secretdecoderring=/home/mharris/.decoderrings/sourcenav.ring"; use
> --help for usage.
>
> Is there some problem with compiling this as non-root?  I really
> don't want to have to be root to build packages..  Any ideas?

>       Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open source advocate
>               Computer Consultant - Capslock Consulting
>                  Copyright 2000 all rights reserved
>
> [Favorite quotes of Linus Torvalds - Sept 6, 2000]
> I'm a bastard. I have absolutely no clue why people can ever think
> otherwise. Yet they do. People think I'm a nice guy, and the fact is that
> I'm a scheming, conniving bastard who doesn't care for any hurt feelings
> or lost hours of work if it just results in what I consider to be a better
> system.  And I'm not just saying that. I'm really not a very nice person.
> I can say "I don't care" with a straight face, and really mean it.
>         -- Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel mailing list

* Can't configure in source dir..
@ 2000-10-10 12:43 Mike A. Harris
                   ` (2 more replies)