* include file problems
@ 2000-10-28 10:26 Merlyn Cousins
From: Merlyn Cousins @ 2000-10-28 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Roxborough, sourcenav

Ok..first i'd like to thank you for responding.
In answer to your questions...I'm a linux man
I'm using SuSE 6.1 (with compiled version of snavigator)
I had no errors during the compilation.
everything else seems to work but the include stuff.
Which really gives me problems for obvious reasons.
as far as double clicking on include files..yes i do that
and the Prog responds with (file not found) but it's there.
It seems to do this anytime the syntax of #include <a directory/filename>
is used.

also a quick question for you...
Why do you have to click on the include files to bring them into the project?
this can be a real pain!!
shouldn't there be a option of some sort that Snav does a recursive search and auto
loads the #include files?
I mean if these files were in the directory or a subdirectory of the current project
and a new project was created, would not Snav auto bring them in?
having to double click through the tree is a real time waster.
So anyway thanxs again..
If i can get these points points worked out Snav along with gvim
will be a GREAT aid to me in helping to Understand (reverse engineer) source code.

Hi,

I'm assuming that you are double clicking on the include
file in the include browser.  (?)

What OS are you running on?

I've heard of this bug before but haven't managed to
reproduce it on my Red Hat 6.2 box.  (This is meant to
problems on Windows version also.)

Ian.

"Merlyn(root)" wrote:

> Perhaps someone can help me with a problem I am having using snavigator.
> when I'm trying to work with include files that use the form
> #include <sys/stabs.h> for example (where a directory below the include
> directory is used ..i.e let's say /usr/include) snavigator says (file not
> found) now the file is there...and /usr/include is specified in the path for
> the include file search. so why doesn't it work?
>
> if anyone can help I would great accpreciate it
>
> thanks
>
> merlyn

* Re: include file problems
@ 2000-10-28 13:22 ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2000-10-28 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Merlyn Cousins; +Cc: sourcenav

Hi,

Merlyn Cousins wrote:
> everything else seems to work but the include stuff.
> Which really gives me problems for obvious reasons.
> as far as double clicking on include files..yes i do that
> and the Prog responds with (file not found) but it's there.
> It seems to do this anytime the syntax of #include <a directory/filename>
> is used.

Where are your system include files?  Source-Navigator
at the moment only knows to look into /usr/include, which
means that it could be miss a lot of things (?).
In the preferences dialog there is an "Includes" tab, this
lets you add more include directories for systems include etc.

(Of course this might be a bug in the parser given #inclucde ""
vs. #include <>)

> also a quick question for you...
> Why do you have to click on the include files to bring them
> into the project?
> this can be a real pain!! shouldn't there be a option of
> some sort that Snav does a recursive search and auto loads
> the #include files?
> I mean if these files were in the directory or a subdirectory
> of the current project and a new project was created, would
> not Snav auto bring them in?  having to double click through
> the tree is a real time waster.

One option could be adding /usr/include or whatever to the
project.  Maybe we need an "include system headers" option
when creating projects.

Ian.

> So anyway thanxs again..
> If i can get these points points worked out Snav along with gvim
> will be a GREAT aid to me in helping to Understand (reverse engineer) source code.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm assuming that you are double clicking on the include
> file in the include browser.  (?)
>
> What OS are you running on?
>
> I've heard of this bug before but haven't managed to
> reproduce it on my Red Hat 6.2 box.  (This is meant to
> problems on Windows version also.)
>
> Ian.
>
> "Merlyn(root)" wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps someone can help me with a problem I am having using snavigator.
> > when I'm trying to work with include files that use the form
> > #include <sys/stabs.h> for example (where a directory below the include
> > directory is used ..i.e let's say /usr/include) snavigator says (file not
> > found) now the file is there...and /usr/include is specified in the path for
> > the include file search. so why doesn't it work?
> >
> > if anyone can help I would great accpreciate it
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > merlyn

* Re: include file problems
@ 2000-10-28 14:32   ` Merlyn
From: Merlyn @ 2000-10-28 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Roxborough; +Cc: sourcenav

Hi there....thanxs again for quick reply.

my include files are in /usr/include and directories below (/usr/include)
I tried changing the directory search path in INCLUDE preferences (no luck)
To give you an example of exactly what is going on.
consider this.
one of my include files is #include<sys/times.h>
this should resolve to /usr/include/sys/times.h
snav with or without directory /usr/include/sys specified in preferences does
not find the file...(and it's there).

as far as a option to bring in the headers into the current project without the
double clicking stuff... I  think that would be great!
Just have an option which resolves all (external yuk) (i.e. external from
current project) include files.

thanks alot
Merlyn!!

* Re: include file problems
@ 2000-10-29 13:57 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-10-29 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Merlyn Cousins; +Cc: Ian Roxborough, sourcenav

   Why do you have to click on the include files to bring them into the project?
   this can be a real pain!!
   shouldn't there be a option of some sort that Snav does a recursive search and auto
   loads the #include files?

Because often, parsing these files takes a lot of time and imports a lot of
detail into your project you don't care about.  It's unusual to really want
to know where strcmp() is declared, since you either know, or don't really
care.  Don't you agree?

Ben

* Re: include file problems
@ 2000-10-29 17:26   ` Eray Ozkural (exa)
From: Eray Ozkural (exa) @ 2000-10-29 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: Merlyn Cousins, Ian Roxborough, sourcenav

Ben Elliston wrote:

> Because often, parsing these files takes a lot of time and imports a lot of
> detail into your project you don't care about.  It's unusual to really want
> to know where strcmp() is declared, since you either know, or don't really
> care.  Don't you agree?

A friend of mine used to make include directories into separate projects
for this purpose in VC++. Perhaps it's a useful function after all.
Though I don't know how it would be possible in sourcenav.

Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr

* Re: include file problems
@ 2000-11-29  4:10     ` Bruce Stephens