* VPATH problem in snMakefile (Windows ME)
@ 2001-01-12 23:42 Charles Darcy
From: Charles Darcy @ 2001-01-12 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi,

    I've just tried SN and found it is very impressive. I have, however,
struck a problem when a build target contains files in multiple source
directories. The make system claims there is no rule to build object
files for any source files which exist in any directories after the
first in VPATH (a definition in the SN generated snMakefile).

    So if I have source files in Dir1 and Dir2, VPATH will be something
like:

VPATH = c:/project/Dir1 c:/project/Dir2

    Files in Dir1 compile OK, but with files in Dir2 the make system
complains:

make: *** No rule to make target `sample_file_in_Dir2.o', needed by
`sample_lib.a'.  Stop.

    I've found that if I replace the space between the directories in
VPATH with a semicolon, rename snMakefile to makefile, and build using
<external makefile> as the target, all file are compiled correctly.

VPATH = c:/project/Dir1;c:/project/Dir2

    This becomes a little tedious, however.

    I'm using the Cygwin compilation suite, under Windows ME.

    If anyone can suggest what might be the cause of my problem, I would
be very grateful. My apologies if I have missed something obvious; I
have only just started using Source Navigator and the Cygwin tools.

regards,

Charlie.