* Source navigator roadmap, features list, etc.?
@ 2000-09-25 22:04 Timothee Besset
From: Timothee Besset @ 2000-09-25 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Is this list the only way to send feature suggestions and bug reports?
What are the actual plans of RedHat with source navigator, is it going
to evolve a lot more? Because I would have a truckload of improvement
suggestions and feature requests. It would be nice if there was a public
space somewhere that described who is doing what, maintaining what on
this project.

I had to move from an MSDev environment to development under linux, and
Source Navigator does some things better than MSDev, but it also has
some big drawbacks.

regards

TTimo

* Re: Source navigator roadmap, features list, etc.?
@ 2000-09-26  9:23 ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-09-26  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothee Besset; +Cc: sourcenav

Timothee Besset wrote:

> Is this list the only way to send feature suggestions and bug reports?
> What are the actual plans of RedHat with source navigator, is it going
> to evolve a lot more? Because I would have a truckload of improvement
> suggestions and feature requests. It would be nice if there was a public
> space somewhere that described who is doing what, maintaining what on
> this project.

Right now, we are busy overhauling the GUI code to use incr Tcl 3.0. After we
get done with that, we will start working on new features. So nobody is
officially doing any new features until we get 5.0 released.

> I had to move from an MSDev environment to development under linux, and
> Source Navigator does some things better than MSDev, but it also has
> some big drawbacks.

Feel free to post suggestions and requests. Better yet, feel free to work on the
code!

@ 2000-09-26 10:30 ` Berek
From: Berek @ 2000-09-26 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

I agree completely. I love SN, but it does have a lot of rough edges in the
UI, and it's buggy. I, too, have a lot of suggestions and bug reports and
would like to know what the future of SN is going to be

@ 2000-09-26 10:37   ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-09-26 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berek; +Cc: sourcenav

The future is going to be dictated largely by the community. If a lot of people
in the community want something in, we will make it a priority for development.

Syd Polk
Engineering Manager

@ 2000-09-27 21:41   ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-09-27 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berek; +Cc: sourcenav

   I agree completely. I love SN, but it does have a lot of rough edges
   in the UI, and it's buggy. I, too, have a lot of suggestions and bug
   reports and would like to know what the future of SN is going to be

IMHO, it should be a relatively high priority to establish a GNATS bug
reporting database for S-N (as other projects on sources.redhat.com do).
This will encourage folks to submit bug reports and for us to track them.

Ben

* Re: Source navigator roadmap, features list, etc.?
@ 2000-10-03  9:44     ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-10-03  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: Berek, sourcenav

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Ben Elliston wrote:

>    I agree completely. I love SN, but it does have a lot of rough edges
>    in the UI, and it's buggy. I, too, have a lot of suggestions and bug
>    reports and would like to know what the future of SN is going to be
>
> IMHO, it should be a relatively high priority to establish a GNATS bug
> reporting database for S-N (as other projects on sources.redhat.com do).
> This will encourage folks to submit bug reports and for us to track them.
>
> Ben

We already have one, but we do not want to "roll it out" until
5.0 is ready.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* RE: Source navigator roadmap, features list, etc.?
@ 2000-10-05  1:16 William Gacquer
From: William Gacquer @ 2000-10-05  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

or some kind of "extended real file view":

dir          | file           | SN  | VC  |
------------------------------------------|
a            | toto.c         | yes	| yes |
a/b          | foo.h          | no  | yes |
z/zz         | albert.txt     | no  | no  |

The SN and VC (version control) columns could be filled with checkboxes.

Of course, this one could be more complete than the one above.
Maybe we could discuss the features that should be included in that kind of
view, if you accept it, of course.

William

From: dave.banham @ 2000-10-05  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

@ 2000-10-04 10:25                       ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-10-04 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

At 04:02 PM 10/3/00 -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, William Gacquer wrote:
>
> > Yahoo! The community rules!
> >
> > More seriously, if I can give you my wishlist...
> >
> > 1/ automatic recognition of new files in the project directories
>
>Not sure about that one. Perhaps a feature to rescan for new files
>would be a good idea, but it should not be automatic.

I think that we should have a checkbox on the directory selection dialog
that says "Live directory". If this is checked, the directory will be
scanned every time the project is refreshed.

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Source navigator roadmap, features list, etc.?
@ 2000-10-04  2:42 ` Timothy M. Shead
From: Timothy M. Shead @ 2000-10-04  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leonp; +Cc: sourcenav

leonp@plris.com wrote:

> At 16:02 03/10/2000 -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, William Gacquer wrote:
>>  > 9/ a autoconf/automake project creation as in kdevelop
>>
>> This one is hard to do in a general way, but we could do
>> something like writing a configure.in for the user in the
>> same way that we write a Makefile.
>
> As far as I was able to understand the SN was designed for use also
> (mainly?) in Embedded Programming, where you need to have a little bit
> simpler and closer approach to a lot of build process parameters.
> Absence of this simple approach in kdevelop (which is very good IDE!)
> was the main reason that I left my attempts to sufficiently and
> comfortably integrate the embedded projects into it, while one of the
> main difficulties was this autoconf/automake stuff. I shall be very
> disappointed if this issue will be introduced also in SN, which is my
> only IDE today.

Remember that you can always use external commands to build any way you
like - I prefer to use my own makefiles, so my "Build Command" is set to
"make", "Directory" to my top-level project directory, and "Build
Targets" to "<External Makefile>".  This shouldn't make anyone nervous :)

Timothy M. Shead

* RE: Source navigator roadmap, features list, etc.?
@ 2000-10-04  0:53 leonp
From: leonp @ 2000-10-04  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

At 16:02 03/10/2000 -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, William Gacquer wrote:
> > 9/ a autoconf/automake project creation as in kdevelop
>
>This one is hard to do in a general way, but we could do
>something like writing a configure.in for the user in the
>same way that we write a Makefile.
As far as I was able to understand the SN was designed for use also
(mainly?) in Embedded Programming, where you need to have a little bit
simpler and closer approach to a lot of build process parameters. Absence
of this simple approach in kdevelop (which is very good IDE!) was the main
reason that I left my attempts to sufficiently and comfortably integrate
the embedded projects into it, while one of the main difficulties was this
autoconf/automake stuff. I shall be very disappointed if this issue will be
introduced also in SN, which is my only IDE today.

Thanks to Cygnus/RH for the good SW.

Leon Pollak
leonp@plris.com

* RE: Source navigator roadmap, features list, etc.?
@ 2000-10-03 16:02                     ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-10-03 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, William Gacquer wrote:

> Yahoo! The community rules!
>
> More seriously, if I can give you my wishlist...
>
> 1/ automatic recognition of new files in the project directories

Not sure about that one. Perhaps a feature to rescan for new files
would be a good idea, but it should not be automatic.

> 2/ a better interface with CVS ( why not an integration of tkCVS in SN?)

This one is a well known problem that we need to deal with.

> 3/ an expand/collapse button in the project tree view (expansion is the
> default but my project is so big that I would prefer a collapse by default)
> 4/ Drag&Drop with KDE/Gnome (I known, that's Tk's stuff)

What exactly are you itching to drop into SN? Drag and Drop is something
that seems really cool but I find to be less than useful unless it
is very consistent across applications.

> 5/ a UML-istic class view (even if it's not editable)
> 6/ clicking on xref-ed objects/functions opens the file where the
> object/function is used (by default, it opens the file a function
> implementation)

Yup, I looked into this before but I could not fix it without
a redesign.

> 7/ a clever "replace-in-files"
> 8/ an interface with GNAT (with tkGNAT?)
> 9/ a autoconf/automake project creation as in kdevelop

This one is hard to do in a general way, but we could do
something like writing a configure.in for the user in the
same way that we write a Makefile.

> 10/ a possibility to hide/show all SN-controlled windows

This is already implemented, see the Windows->Iconize Project
menu item.

> 11/ a search-and-replace dialog that can jump directly to the next occurence
> by clicking on replace
> 12/ working real-regular-expressions everywhere

The trick will be how the user can tell the system to use
a regexp vs a glob for a given entry box.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Source navigator roadmap, features list, etc.?
@ 2000-09-29 11:32 ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-09-29 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave.banham, sourcenav

At 08:18 AM 9/29/00 +0100, dave.banham@tde.alstom.com wrote:

>Syd,
>You misunderstand my request. All I would like SN to do is "flag
>assignments of
>function pointers" so that Xref will show the assignment as a reference to the
>function symbol being xref'd. Currently it does not, so the only way of
>finding
>such references is with grep.

I agree with you here. Others have asked for what I was talking about.

@ 2000-09-29  6:06     ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 2000-09-29  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Ben Elliston <bje@redhat.com> writes:

>    We could certainly flag assignments of function pointers, but there is
>    no good static determination of when a function is actually called
>    dereferencing a function pointer. This requires runtime analysis. And
>    it could be wrong; the runtime analysis would have to have a reverse
>    table of addresses to functions. A debugger could do this while the
>    exe is running.
>
> Or worse, the function pointer could be determined by address
> arithmetic.  As you say, there's only so much that can be done
> statically.

Of course.  There are inevitably limitations.

However, whenever a bit of code does something with something which is
a function pointer, then that's worth noting somewhere.

It's possible that it's never called, but it's surely more than likely
that it will be at some point (even though SN won't be able to tell
where it's called).  Not just assignments, either: arguments to
functions ought to be stored somewhere (Tcl_CreateObjCommand and
similar spring to mind).

--
Bruce Stephens			Bruce.Stephens@MessagingDirect.com
MessagingDirect(UK) Ltd		<URL: http://www.MessagingDirect.com/ >

* Re: Source navigator roadmap, features list, etc.?
@ 2000-09-29  0:26 dave.banham
From: dave.banham @ 2000-09-29  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

@ 2000-09-28 17:28   ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-09-28 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syd Polk; +Cc: sourcenav

@ 2000-09-28 13:26                         ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-09-28 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

At 12:14 PM 9/28/00 -0400, Berek wrote:
>I've experienced the same problem with SN (4.5.1 and 4.5.2). C++ Xref is not
>reliable. Often have to fall back on GREP. For me, this is probably the most
>serious problem I have with SN.
>
>Also, xref for local variables doesn't seem to work at all. Nor does
>locating the declaration of local variables. Yes, I do have "generate
>references to local variables" checked in XRef preferences.

These are known problems. Hopefully, we can address them soon, or somebody
in the community can dig into it.

@ 2000-09-28 13:25 ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-09-28 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

@ 2000-09-28 13:22                       ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-09-28 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

At 09:44 PM 9/27/00 +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
>William Gacquer <wgacquer@ubisoft.fr> writes:
>
>[...]
>
> > 16/ what else?.... uhhh, I am sure I have missed something....
>
>More/better parsers.  Emacs lisp is an obvious one, but more
>immediately PHP would be *really* handy.
>
>Possibly there are significant limitations of many of the existing
>parsers, but the one that's really annoying us at the moment is C++:
>it seems that often, trying to xref methods gives nothing at all
>useful (indeed, often nothing at all).  Presumably this is because the
>C++ parser isn't up to the job.

The C++ parser has many bugs; we have not had time to fix them.

We will be putting up a GNATS database soon.

The parser we want the most is a perl parser.

@ 2000-09-28  9:15                       ` Berek

@ 2000-09-28  0:23 dave.banham
From: dave.banham @ 2000-09-28  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

@ 2000-09-27 22:16                     ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 2000-09-27 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

@ 2000-09-27  1:12                   ` William Gacquer
From: William Gacquer @ 2000-09-27  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syd Polk, sourcenav

[...]

13/ macros
14/ the debugger by default is insight. I want to be able to call DDD
instead (or whatever debugger I like)
15/ themes : editing with SN is like burning my eyes. It is much too hard to
configure a black background with a bright fonts.