* itcl compatibility problem
@ 2000-10-22  7:53 Eray Ozkural
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eray Ozkural @ 2000-10-22  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Source Navigator

I've built sourcenav debian packages with the tcl/tk 8.3
as I did for insight, but it seems that because of (at
least) itcl compatibility it's going to fail in runtime.

Meanwhile, I'm going to have to make huge debs with tcl/tk
in 'em.

In debian, we're using itcl/itk 3.1 so is the next version
going to be using that?

Another thing, I haven't found any development snapshots on the
ftp site. Is that a temporary situation? Being able to look
at some development snapshots would be very helpful at this
point, because I might try to port the code myself, or help
do it.

Thanks!

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr

* Parser, interested developpers
@ 2000-10-22 11:22 ` Gilles J. Seguin
From: Gilles J. Seguin @ 2000-10-22 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Source Navigator

Eray Ozkural wrote:

> I've built sourcenav debian packages with the tcl/tk 8.3
> as I did for insight, but it seems that because of (at
> least) itcl compatibility it's going to fail in runtime.
>
> Meanwhile, I'm going to have to make huge debs with tcl/tk
> in 'em.
>
> In debian, we're using itcl/itk 3.1 so is the next version
> going to be using that?

> Another thing, I haven't found any development snapshots on the
> ftp site. Is that a temporary situation? Being able to look
> at some development snapshots would be very helpful at this
> point, because I might try to port the code myself, or help
> do it.

Development version,

- Where is the development CVS ?
  Target/commitment was end October.

- My undersanding is that the target date for stable release
  with the tcl/tk 8.3 upgrade is March 2001.
  Why are deloppers out of this upgrade ?
  Can we be of some help ? Or why can we ??

- What are the commodity/options that are in revision/enhancement.
  Parsers need improvement.  Parsers need new languages.

I will like to know who is having interest on parser.
- Documents/tools for parsing.
- Can we agree on one parser,
- Works that need to be done.
- Peoples who can be tester.

Gilles J. Seguin
segg@infonet.ca

* Re: itcl compatibility problem
@ 2000-10-22 16:17 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-10-22 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Eray Ozkural wrote:

> I've built sourcenav debian packages with the tcl/tk 8.3
> as I did for insight, but it seems that because of (at
> least) itcl compatibility it's going to fail in runtime.
>
> Meanwhile, I'm going to have to make huge debs with tcl/tk
> in 'em.
>
> In debian, we're using itcl/itk 3.1 so is the next version
> going to be using that?

SN 5.0 is going to be using itcl 3.0 at first. We will upgrade
to itcl 3.2 later. There should not be any problems here, as
itcl 3.0 and 3.1 are just about the same.

> Another thing, I haven't found any development snapshots on the
> ftp site. Is that a temporary situation? Being able to look
> at some development snapshots would be very helpful at this
> point, because I might try to port the code myself, or help
> do it.

We are still working on the development version. It will
be put up for testing when it is ready.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: itcl compatibility problem
@ 2000-10-23  9:54 ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-10-23  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erayo, Source Navigator

At 05:21 PM 10/22/00 +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:

>I've built sourcenav debian packages with the tcl/tk 8.3
>as I did for insight, but it seems that because of (at
>least) itcl compatibility it's going to fail in runtime.
>
>Meanwhile, I'm going to have to make huge debs with tcl/tk
>in 'em.
>
>In debian, we're using itcl/itk 3.1 so is the next version
>going to be using that?

It's going to be using a later version, 3.2.

>Another thing, I haven't found any development snapshots on the
>ftp site. Is that a temporary situation? Being able to look
>at some development snapshots would be very helpful at this
>point, because I might try to port the code myself, or help
>do it.
>
>Thanks!

SN452.tar.gz is a source snapshot.

This problem is one of the reasons we have not done our own packages. We
*require* our own versions of tcl, tk, itcl, tix, libgui, and grep.

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Parser, interested developpers
@ 2000-10-23  9:55   ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-10-23  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles J. Seguin, Source Navigator

At 02:21 PM 10/22/00 -0400, Gilles J. Seguin wrote:
>Eray Ozkural wrote:
> >
> > I've built sourcenav debian packages with the tcl/tk 8.3
> > as I did for insight, but it seems that because of (at
> > least) itcl compatibility it's going to fail in runtime.
> >
> > Meanwhile, I'm going to have to make huge debs with tcl/tk
> > in 'em.
> >
> > In debian, we're using itcl/itk 3.1 so is the next version
> > going to be using that?
>

> > Another thing, I haven't found any development snapshots on the
> > ftp site. Is that a temporary situation? Being able to look
> > at some development snapshots would be very helpful at this
> > point, because I might try to port the code myself, or help
> > do it.
>
>Development version,
>
>- Where is the development CVS ?
>   Target/commitment was end October.

It won't be for a while.

>- My undersanding is that the target date for stable release
>   with the tcl/tk 8.3 upgrade is March 2001.
>   Why are deloppers out of this upgrade ?
>   Can we be of some help ? Or why can we ??

Because we have to untangle the Cygnus development tree.

@ 2000-10-23 10:56     ` Eray Ozkural
From: Eray Ozkural @ 2000-10-23 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syd Polk; +Cc: Gilles J. Seguin, Source Navigator

Syd Polk wrote:

> Because we have to untangle the Cygnus development tree.

I built insight like that and up'ped already. You can have
a look at it when it comes through, or I can post diffs to insight
list. I also did sourcenav the same way, but there're a lot
of incompatibilities with itcl.

Is there any chance I could get versions of tcl code that's
been converted to itcl3.2? If that's not available I can do
it on my own time, learning a bit of itcl/itk in the meantime.
I'm writing this because I wouldn't like duplication of work.

@ 2000-10-23 11:05       ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-10-23 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erayo; +Cc: Gilles J. Seguin, Source Navigator

At 08:58 PM 10/23/00 +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:
>Syd Polk wrote:
> >
> > Because we have to untangle the Cygnus development tree.
>
>I built insight like that and up'ped already. You can have
>a look at it when it comes through, or I can post diffs to insight
>list. I also did sourcenav the same way, but there're a lot
>of incompatibilities with itcl.
>
>Is there any chance I could get versions of tcl code that's
>been converted to itcl3.2? If that's not available I can do
>it on my own time, learning a bit of itcl/itk in the meantime.
>I'm writing this because I wouldn't like duplication of work.

We have done extensive work in upgrading to itcl 3.x. We will be releasing
it at some point this year. I am sorry we don't have a better answer for
you, but we are unlikely to pre-release this.

@ 2000-10-23 11:06       ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-10-23 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erayo; +Cc: Gilles J. Seguin, Source Navigator

At 08:58 PM 10/23/00 +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:
>Syd Polk wrote:
> >
> > Because we have to untangle the Cygnus development tree.
>
>I built insight like that and up'ped already. You can have
>a look at it when it comes through, or I can post diffs to insight
>list. I also did sourcenav the same way, but there're a lot
>of incompatibilities with itcl.
>
>Is there any chance I could get versions of tcl code that's
>been converted to itcl3.2? If that's not available I can do
>it on my own time, learning a bit of itcl/itk in the meantime.
>I'm writing this because I wouldn't like duplication of work.
>
>Thanks,

Insight         Source-Navigator

tcl 8.0.5 (sort of)     tcl 8.1b1 (sort of)
tk 8.0.5 (sort of)      tk 8.1b1 (sort of)
itcl 3.0                itcl 1.5 (sort of)

This is the crux of the problem, and why we currently need our own copies
of everything.