* Testing + a first question...
@ 2000-11-06 13:37 Gary Kline
From: Gary Kline @ 2000-11-06 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav; +Cc: kline

    Assuming this gets thru to the source navigator list, I'll
    throw out my question.

    Is there a way of making an vi or vi-like editor the default
    editor with sourcenav?  After using this environment for several
    hours over the weekend, it seems to fit my needs well with the
    exception of the editor.

    I've added "xterm -e vim" to the preferences in one tcl popup,
    but find this does not affect the default editor which displays
    files in color within a popup frame.  On my main system I have
    xemacs with viper, vi, vim, gvim, and xvile and probably other
    vi-clones.

    Anybody else use this tool whose fingers are most comfortable
    with vi?

    thanks much,

    gary kline

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix

* Re: Testing + a first question...
@ 2000-11-06 13:42 ` Eric Christopher
From: Eric Christopher @ 2000-11-06 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Kline; +Cc: sourcenav

At one point there were hooks to use (x)emacs as an external editor for
source nav.  You could run that via viper mode.

-eric

@ 2000-11-06 13:43 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-11-06 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Gary Kline wrote:

>     Assuming this gets thru to the source navigator list, I'll
>     throw out my question.
>
>     Is there a way of making an vi or vi-like editor the default
>     editor with sourcenav?  After using this environment for several
>     hours over the weekend, it seems to fit my needs well with the
>     exception of the editor.
>
>     I've added "xterm -e vim" to the preferences in one tcl popup,
>     but find this does not affect the default editor which displays
>     files in color within a popup frame.  On my main system I have
>     xemacs with viper, vi, vim, gvim, and xvile and probably other
>     vi-clones.
>
>     Anybody else use this tool whose fingers are most comfortable
>     with vi?
>
>     thanks much,
>
>     gary kline

The documentation has an example of how to set up the editor
prefs so that vi is opened when you want to edit something.

http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/online-docs/userguide/editor.html#pgfId-896855

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Testing + a first question...
@ 2000-11-06 14:34   ` Gary Kline
From: Gary Kline @ 2000-11-06 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Christopher; +Cc: Gary Kline, sourcenav

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 01:54:00PM -0800, Eric Christopher wrote:
> At one point there were hooks to use (x)emacs as an external editor for
> source nav.  You could run that via viper mode.

	Yes, and directly above were the hooks for vi, which I did use.
	It works well, but there is another window that you can popup
	where <file.c> is displayed with sourcenav's own editor.  I'd
	like to use only a vi editor consistantly.

	I just finished reading more of the redhat docs and have
	dropped in some tcl functions into my ~/.sn directory.

	Be great if this suite let the user choose his own editor...

	gary

--

@ 2000-11-07 12:36   ` Gary Kline
From: Gary Kline @ 2000-11-07 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Christopher; +Cc: Gary Kline, sourcenav

    I added some of the tcl from the redhat documentation website
    and am able to invoke either xterm + vim or [x]emacs (which
    works with viper).  So for the most part, I can use this IDE
    tool with a vi-like editor.

    Still, if I click on Windows->new->Editor

    I get the SN default editor.  Are there any plans for letting the
    user choose his own editor and having that editor invoked in
    whatever window or frame that SN uses?

    The nice things about this suite are the cross-reference frames
    that show the relationships of the user's code; and other features.
    Still, having to use an external editor is a bit clumsy.

    gary kline

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix