From: Mo DeJong <mdejong@cygnus.com>
To: sourcenav@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: New Parser/highlighter howto
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 12:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Richard F Weber wrote:

> Hey, that was easy.  Now my ada code is color coded.  But I do have to
> ask why other languages aren't included for color-coding.  I mean adding
> support was _really_ easy (unless I really messed it up).  But this does
> raise another question below:

Because nobody has actually sat down and done it.

> After perusing through the lists, I saw that there is plans to have a
> new system to dynamically load the highlighters(ala .so's & .dll's).  So
> my question now is:
>
> 1) How is the new system going to be different with regards to the
> highlighter.  I wouldn't imagine too different, but...

It would just load the .so or .dll off the system.
None of this code has been written at this point,
it is just an idea bouncing around.

> 2) How is the new system going to be different with regards to the parser.
>
> I'd hate to have to dump a lot of time into working on a
> parser/highlighter if the syntax is just going to change in a few months
> (that is when v5.0 is getting released. right?)

Please don't avoid playing with any parser interfaces out
of fear that they will change wildly in the near future.
That is simply not the case.

Most of the 5.0 work is in "infrastructure". Basically,
we just took out all kinds of nasty stuff that had
built up over the years and replaced it with nice
clean new code. We tried to make no GUI changes and
keep the old APIs working, so 4.5 stuff should not
break. If it did, we would be really hosed since
we don't really have time to rewrite all the parsers.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc