public inbox for sourceware-announce@sourceware.org
From: Jason Molenda <jsm@cygnus.com>
To: sourceware-announce@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Sourceware update!
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 02:35:00 -0000	[thread overview]

It's two thirty on a Monday night, I've got half a pack of cigarettes,
it's dark outside, and I'm wearing sunglasses.  Since I'm not standing in
line waiting for a ticket to Star Wars, it must be time for yet another
installment of AS THE SOURCEWARE TURNS.  Hit it!

NEW PROJECTS

    GDB!  Here's one near and dear to my own heart, I'm glad to see it
    on sourceware.  GDB is the GNU Debugger, it slices it dices, it finds
    your bugs automatically.  Really!  You just sit back and let GDB do
    all the work.  OK, maybe it just helps you to fix your own problems,
    but it does it really well.  Mailing lists are on-line, the ftp site
    is set up, and there is a publically viewable/browsable CVS archive.
    As an added plus, I've put a collection of old GDB's on the ftp site.
    The oldest is GDB 2.4, released in early 1998.
	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/

    BINUTILS -- when I'm down on my luck, when I'm feeling sad, I chase
    those blues away with the help of these heartwarming utilities.  An
    assembler, a linker; a little something for everyone.  Binutils joins
    sourceware with a mailing list, mail archives for the discussions
    going back to 1994, and a viewable/browsable CVS archive.
	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/binutils/

    XCONQ:  an Empire-type strategy game where players contest for
    world domination.  Fun for the whole family.  Stan Shebs has been
    developing/making releases of xconq for over a decade.  It runs
    on PCs, Macs, and Unix systems, it has an AI engine smarter than
    most US high school students, and networks more naturally than a
    marketing executive.  Can you guess what it includes?  You're right!
    Mailing list, web page, browsable/viewable CVS archives--who would
    have thunk it.
	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/xconq/

NEW RELEASES

    PTHREADS-WIN32 had their first big release of their compatibility
    library.  Check it at
	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/pthreads-win32/

    GDB 4.18 provides a great chance to check out the latest action with
    the hippest debugger around.  We've got tons of stuff from HP to
    enhance HPUX support, we've for several new processors supported
    (Fujitsu FR30, Intel StrongARM, Mitsubishi D30V), and a slew of
    neato new stuff for remote debugging.
	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/

    Our JAVA LANGUAGE PROJECT had a majorly huge announcement with
    the release of LIBGCJ, the run-time half of our setup.  GCJ is the
    compiler that compiles your Java source to native code, and LIBGCJ
    provides the run-time support for those binaries.  Check it at
	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/java/

INFRASTRUCTURE and OTHER THINGS TO DISCUSS AT PARTIES

    I've been an unstoppable Infrastructure Maniac for the past couple
    of months.  I've got a gazillion mailing lists moved to sourceware;
    I'm mostly done migrating lists now.  I've been improving on the web
    archive presentation/interface to make it easier to use, and I've been
    putting all the old archives on-line for fun historical reference.

    Just tonight I set up a search engine for sourceware.  I'll be
    refining this interface over the next week or two, but the
    functionality is all there and--if I may say so myself--it is KICKIN.
    You will see little search boxes appearing on the mailing list web
    archive pages over the next few days.

Until next time, peace and out,

Jason

----
Want to unsubscribe from this list?  Send a mail note to
sourceware-announce-unsubscribe@sourceware.cygnus.com