public inbox for springfield@sourceware.org
* Could libguestfs use springfield?
@ 2018-01-01  0:00 Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2018-01-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: springfield; +Cc: Steven Whitehouse

libguestfs provides a C library and large set of tools for
manipulating disk images.  http://libguestfs.org/

As part of this we provide APIs to open VM disks and do things like
enumerate partitions or resize logical volumes.  The actual way this
works currently is we run the external commands (eg. parted, lvresize)
inside a small virtual machine and pass the right command line options
or parse the output.  In some cases we're also parsing stuff out of
kernel /sys/block.

We've accumulated a large amount of code to do this (I counted 60619
lines of code in the current version).  Here are a few examples so you
can see in concrete terms what I'm talking about:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/afd1c70601c51043684a0245ce2f63d71a9cc07a/daemon/parted.c#L344

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/afd1c70601c51043684a0245ce2f63d71a9cc07a/daemon/lvm.c#L271

Steven W pointed me to "Project Springfield" and it sort of looks like
it's in the same area.  Could libguestfs replace the parsing code
above with this?

What might be problems: We have no python or dbus in the appliance.
So anything that depends on those is a non-starter.

TBH the project webpage left me more confused than enlightened.  There
seem to be lots of projects (subprojects?) doing stuff with odd names
and no unifying philosophy, and I'm not sure if Project Springfield is
a thing or more of an intention.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v