* obsolete syscall probe points in tapset for ppc64?
@ 2006-02-16  6:54 Gui,Jian
From: Gui,Jian @ 2006-02-16  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hi,

I run "make check" to test snapshot 20060211 on my ppc64 linux
and  only 1 of 136 tests failed.

My environment is:
RHEL4 U3 + 2.6.9-30.EL + snapshot 20060211 + elfutils 0.119-0.1

Here is the detailed error message:
[root@localhost src-20060211]# stap -up4 testsuite/buildok/syscall.stp
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_fstat")
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point syscall.fstat
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_mmap2")
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point syscall.mmap2
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_setgroups16")
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point syscall.setgroups16
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_stat")
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point syscall.stat
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_fstat").return
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point syscall.fstat.return
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_mmap2").return
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point syscall.mmap2.return
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point
kernel.function("sys_setgroups16").return
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point syscall.setgroups16.return
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_stat").return
semantic error: no match for probe point
    while: resolving probe point syscall.stat.return
Pass 2: analysis failed.  Try again with '-v' (verbose) option.

The errors come from the probe points for sys_fstat, sys_mmap2
defined in tapset/syscalls.stp and the probe points for sys_stat,
sys_setgroups16 in tapset/syscalls2.stp.

I grep /proc/kallsyms and found these four syscalls are not exported.

I check the kernel source and find they are replaced by newer versions
or removed (?) in ppc64 kernel:
    sys_fstat --> sys_newfstat
    sys_mmap2  --> sys32_mmap2
    sys_setgroups16  --> ?
    sys_stat --> sys_newstat

Maybe we should add some architecture check or move these probe
points from tapset/syscalls.stp to arch-dependent directories?

Any comments? Thanks.

guijian

* Re: obsolete syscall probe points in tapset for ppc64?
@ 2006-02-16 16:04 ` Martin Hunt
From: Martin Hunt @ 2006-02-16 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gui,Jian; +Cc: systemtap

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 14:53 +0800, Gui,Jian wrote:

> The errors come from the probe points for sys_fstat, sys_mmap2
> defined in tapset/syscalls.stp and the probe points for sys_stat,
> sys_setgroups16 in tapset/syscalls2.stp.
>
> I grep /proc/kallsyms and found these four syscalls are not exported.
>
> I check the kernel source and find they are replaced by newer versions
> or removed (?) in ppc64 kernel:
>     sys_fstat --> sys_newfstat
>     sys_mmap2  --> sys32_mmap2
>     sys_setgroups16  --> ?
>     sys_stat --> sys_newstat

Thanks for reporting these. I have not had a chance to test on ppc yet.
I will make the proper changes.

Martin