On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 09:56, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote: > Hi - > > I checked in a draft of the systemtap tutorial (/doc/tutorial). It's > 16 pages long at the moment, written in latex. Let me know if you > have trouble formatting it into ps/pdf. I'll put up a snapshot at > *temporarily*. > > I welcome comments on organization, presentation, and content. > > - FChE Nice job. It was fun to read, and should be a huge help to new users. Post it to the web site pronto. Attached is a patch with suggested fixes and clarifications. Other comments not reflected in that patch: I didn't like the use of caps (rather than the usual italics) for generic terms like STATEMENT. I was especially confused by the use of TAPSET in "Naming conventions." I'd like to see one or more examples of probes set mid-function (i.e., specified by line number). (Exercise for reader: Adjust the line number to match your kernel version.) Item #4 at the end of section 4.3: "Block" is a synonym for "sleep." "Spin" is the term you want. And I'm not sure I agree that trylock/fail is necessary when you fully understand the dangers of deadlock. I edited out the use of "per-version." An interesting word, but distracting. :-) I'm with Richard. "Probepoint" is the spelling established by dprobes and kprobes documents. And it's consistent with "breakpoint." Jim