* stap in RHEL5 Alpha 1 x86_64
@ 2006-08-11 21:39 Jim Keniston
From: Jim Keniston @ 2006-08-11 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SystemTAP

I just got done helping a SystemTap user resolve a problem.  He had
recently installed RHEL5 A1 on his x86_64 system, and was trying to use
SystemTap.  stap was reporting a compile error in runtime/alloc.c (ref
to for_each_cpu in _stp_alloc_cpu).  Even a simple hello-world script
wouldn't compile.

"stap -V" reported:
SystemTap translator/driver (version 0.5.5 built 2006-04-05)
(Using Red Hat elfutils 0.121 libraries.)

I realize Alpha 1 was a while ago, but that seems pretty old.

Anyway, he fixed it by building and installing the latest snapshot from
CVS.

Does this incident warrant a bugzilla?

Jim

* Re: stap in RHEL5 Alpha 1 x86_64
@ 2006-08-14 15:31 ` William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2006-08-14 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Keniston; +Cc: SystemTAP

Jim Keniston wrote:
> I just got done helping a SystemTap user resolve a problem.  He had
> recently installed RHEL5 A1 on his x86_64 system, and was trying to use
> SystemTap.  stap was reporting a compile error in runtime/alloc.c (ref
> to for_each_cpu in _stp_alloc_cpu).  Even a simple hello-world script
> wouldn't compile.
>
> "stap -V" reported:
> SystemTap translator/driver (version 0.5.5 built 2006-04-05)
> (Using Red Hat elfutils 0.121 libraries.)
>
> I realize Alpha 1 was a while ago, but that seems pretty old.
>
> Anyway, he fixed it by building and installing the latest snapshot from
> CVS.
>
> Does this incident warrant a bugzilla?
>
> Jim

That sounds like bz 2903. This has already been taken care of in the
systemtap cvs.

-Will

* Re: stap in RHEL5 Alpha 1 x86_64
@ 2006-08-15 22:55   ` Jim Keniston
From: Jim Keniston @ 2006-08-15 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Cohen; +Cc: SystemTAP

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 08:31, William Cohen wrote:
> Jim Keniston wrote:
> > I just got done helping a SystemTap user resolve a problem.  He had
> > recently installed RHEL5 A1 on his x86_64 system, and was trying to use
> > SystemTap.  stap was reporting a compile error in runtime/alloc.c (ref
> > to for_each_cpu in _stp_alloc_cpu).  Even a simple hello-world script
> > wouldn't compile.

> That sounds like bz 2903. This has already been taken care of in the
> systemtap cvs.
>
> -Will

Yes, you're right.  He was running a recent kernel.org kernel, with
for_each_cpu no longer defined.  Thanks.

Jim