* Hooking into systemtaps relay chanell
@ 2007-05-02 22:18 David Wilder
From: David Wilder @ 2007-05-02 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemTAP

Is there anyway for a probe handler to be passed pointer to the relay
channel that systemtap is using to pass its data?

I have a bit of code that is written as part of a tap set, but is not
run as part of a probe.  I would like that code to write data into
systemtap's relay channel.   So, I need to find the address of the
channel at run time.  Is this possible?

--
David Wilder
IBM Linux Technology Center

* Re: Hooking into systemtaps relay chanell
@ 2007-05-03  2:37 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2007-05-03  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Wilder; +Cc: systemTAP

David Wilder <dwilder@us.ibm.com> writes:

> Is there anyway for a probe handler to be passed pointer to the
> relay channel that systemtap is using to pass its data? [...]

We don't have an official way to do this.

> I have a bit of code that is written as part of a tap set, but is
> not run as part of a probe.  I would like that code to write data
> into systemtap's relay channel.  [...]

Why not use _stp_printf etc.?

- FChE

* Re: Hooking into systemtaps relay chanell
@ 2007-05-03  2:45 ` Martin Hunt
From: Martin Hunt @ 2007-05-03  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Wilder; +Cc: systemTAP

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 16:00 -0700, David Wilder wrote:
> Is there anyway for a probe handler to be passed pointer to the relay
> channel that systemtap is using to pass its data?
>
> I have a bit of code that is written as part of a tap set, but is not
> run as part of a probe.  I would like that code to write data into
> systemtap's relay channel.   So, I need to find the address of the
> channel at run time.  Is this possible?

Will _stp_reserve_bytes() do what you need?

I am still tweaking our use of relayfs a bit.  Writing directly to a
relayfs channel bypassing the runtime IO functions will likely not work
well or might break in the near future.  If you can explain more what
you are trying to do I am sure we can work out a solution.

Martin