* License of SystemTap Beginners Guide
@ 2009-02-16 19:53 Eugeniy Meshcheryakov
From: Eugeniy Meshcheryakov @ 2009-02-16 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SystemTAP

Hello,

I cannot find any information about license in source for SystemTap Beginners
Guide, but in the internet there are some version that say it is licensed
under Open Publication License [1], [2] or Open Publication License with some
additional restrictions [3]:

   Distribution of substantively modified versions of this document is prohibited
   without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.

   Distribution of the work or derivative of the work in any standard (paper) book
   form for commercial purposes is prohibited unless prior permission is obtained
   from the copyright holder.

Does OPL really apply to source distributed with SystemTap? (I hope not)
And in any case please clarify license in the source package. And if license
is realy OPL, i'd prefer Beginners Guide not to be included into SystemTap
source (I will need to remove it for Debian package).

Regards,
Eugeniy Meshcheryakov

1. http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/pdf/SystemTap_Beginners_Guide.pdf
2. http://sourceware.org/systemtap/SystemTap_Beginners_Guide.pdf
3. http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/SystemTap_Beginners_Guide/index.html

* Re: License of SystemTap Beginners Guide
@ 2009-02-18 13:48 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2009-02-18 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eugeniy Meshcheryakov; +Cc: SystemTAP

Hi Eugeniy,

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 15:37 +0100, Eugeniy Meshcheryakov wrote:
> I cannot find any information about license in source for SystemTap Beginners
> Guide [...] Does OPL really apply to source distributed with SystemTap? (I hope not)
> And in any case please clarify license in the source package.

Thanks for noticing. That was an oversight. If no license notice file is
provided publican adds the license of the default "brand" you are using.
Don just checked in a Legal_Notice.xml which mentions the GPL, so the
documentation is under the same license as the rest of the code. I saw
Frank just tagged the tree for 0.9, and this commit was just after that,
but please do include it in your distro build if you can.

Cheers,

Mark