* tapsets wanted
@ 2005-09-07 20:02 Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2005-09-07 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hi -

Ever since the translator started settling down, it's been time to
start building tapsets.  There are a number of bugzilla entries to
track people who volunteered to focus on some area or other, and there
are other areas/people not listed yet.  Have these efforts gotten
substantially underway yet?  If not, can we please have any
unsatisfied prerequisites noted?

907  varap@us.ibm.com     System call tracing
908  wcohen@redhat.com    Tapset: scheduler
909  brad.chen@intel.com  Performance monitoring based on hw events
910  wcohen@redhat.com    Tapset: performance monitoring based on timers
911  varap@us.ibm.com     Tapset: I/O <-> VM interaction in device drivers
1160 wcohen@redhat.com    sample systemtap scripts
1154 fche@redhat.com      procfs interaction tapset

- FChE

* Re: tapsets wanted
@ 2005-10-03 19:37 ` William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2005-10-03 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: systemtap

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Ever since the translator started settling down, it's been time to
> start building tapsets.  There are a number of bugzilla entries to
> track people who volunteered to focus on some area or other, and there
> are other areas/people not listed yet.  Have these efforts gotten
> substantially underway yet?  If not, can we please have any
> unsatisfied prerequisites noted?

> 908  wcohen@redhat.com    Tapset: scheduler

For 908 I have noted the dependency on instrument inline functions, bz922

-Will

* Re: tapsets wanted
@ 2005-10-03 20:39   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2005-10-03 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Cohen; +Cc: systemtap

Hi -

wcohen wrote:
> [...]
> >908  wcohen@redhat.com    Tapset: scheduler
> For 908 I have noted the dependency on instrument inline functions, bz922

You mean bug #1155.  Since that one is unlikely to be solved entirely
and soon, one should go ahead and construct as much instrumentation as
one can using other mechanisms that work (other probe points, pulling
values from other variables rather than function arguments,
approximating as needed), even if they are not ideal.  One should also
retain, perhaps commented out like in system_calls.stp, those parts
that should someday work but don't yet.

- FChE