* put probes on assembly jumptable
@ 2006-05-11  2:32 Li Guanglei
From: Li Guanglei @ 2006-05-11  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hi,

  AFAIK SystemTap can't put probes onto assembly label, such as
system_call in kernel/entry.S, but I still want to make sure if my
understand is correct. Or will this be a feature in future?

  Thanks.

* Re: put probes on assembly jumptable
@ 2006-05-11 18:54 ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2006-05-11 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Guanglei; +Cc: systemtap

>   AFAIK SystemTap can't put probes onto assembly label, such as
> system_call in kernel/entry.S, but I still want to make sure if my
> understand is correct. Or will this be a feature in future?

You can use explicit addresses for this now.  In the future we might use
symbol information to get some of the labels in assembly code.  Another
approach you could try now is hacking on the kernel build to pass -g to the
assembler for its assembly code.  This tells the assembler to emit its own
DWARF source info similarly to what the C compiler does.  With that info,
systemtap's existing facilities for specifying a source line should work.