* [eranian@hpl.hp.com: [perfmon] 2.6.17-rc4 new perfmon code base, libpfm, and pfmon releases]
@ 2006-05-22 20:09 Stephane Eranian
From: Stephane Eranian @ 2006-05-22 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

This version of the perfmon2 kernel patch should have what you need to
use the performance counters from systemtap, i.e., from inside the kernel.
Make sure you read the description at the top of perfmon_kapi.c as there
are some known restrictions.

I would appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks.

--
-Stephane

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4096 bytes --]

From: Stephane Eranian <eranian@hpl.hp.com>
To: perfmon@napali.hpl.hp.com
Cc: linux-ia64@vger.kernel.org, oprofile-list@lists.sourceforge.net, perfctr-devel@lists.sourceforge.net, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: [perfmon] 2.6.17-rc4 new perfmon code base, libpfm, and pfmon releases
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 06:40:40 -0700

Hello,

I have released another version of the perfmon new code base package.
This release is still relative to 2.6.17-rc4. This is a cumulative
patch, you don't need the previous patch.

This patch introduces two new major features requested by users:

	- support for IA-32 architected PMU as described by the latest
	  IA-32 architecture manuals. You need at least a Core Duo/Solo
	  processors or newer for this to work.

	- a kernel level interface (kapi) to allow kernel code to call
	  perfmon2 for counting and sampling. Only system-wide measurements
	  are supported. Read comments at the top of perfmon_kapi.c

	- PMD write checkers routines for PMU description tables

I have also released a new version of the user library libpfm: libpfm-3.2-060522.
It includes bug fixes for the architected IA-32 PMU support.

Finally, I have released a new version of the pfmon tool. This new version
includes:
	- support for IA-32 architected PMU (includes Core Duo/Solo processors)
	- bug fixes in the i386 P6/PM support

This version of pfmon-3.2 requires libpfm-3.2-060522.

You can grab the new packages at our web site:

	 http://perfmon2.sf.net

The libpfm and pfmon source code is also available in our CVS repository
accessible from our home page.

Enjoy,

--
-Stephane

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-05-22 20:09 UTC | newest]