From: Mathieu Desnoyers <compudj@krystal.dyndns.org>
To: Nicholas Miell <nmiell@comcast.net>
Cc: Martin Bligh <mbligh@google.com>,
	  "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com>,
	  Masami Hiramatsu <masami.hiramatsu.pt@hitachi.com>,
	  prasanna@in.ibm.com, Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>,
	  Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>, Paul Mundt <lethal@linux-sh.org>,
	  linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	  Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>, Tom Zanussi <zanussi@us.ibm.com>,
	  Richard J Moore <richardj_moore@uk.ibm.com>,
	  Michel Dagenais <michel.dagenais@polymtl.ca>,
	  Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>,
	  Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>,
	  Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	  William Cohen <wcohen@redhat.com>,
	ltt-dev@shafik.org,   systemtap@sources.redhat.com,
	Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	  Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@goop.org>,
	  Karim Yaghmour <karim@opersys.com>,
	Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>,   Joe Perches <joe@perches.com>,
	"Randy.Dunlap" <rdunlap@xenotime.net>,
	  "Jose R. Santos" <jrs@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Performance analysis of Linux Kernel Markers 0.20 for 2.6.17
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 03:47:00 -0000	[thread overview]

* Nicholas Miell (nmiell@comcast.net) wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 14:01 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Following the huge discussion thread about tracing/static vs dynamic
> > instrumentation/markers, a consensus seems to emerge about the need for a
> > marker system in the Linux kernel. The main issues this mechanism addresses are:
> >
> > - Identify code important to runtime data collection/analysis tools in tree so
> >   that it follows the code changes naturally.
> > - Be visually appealing to kernel developers.
> > - Have a very low impact on the system performance.
> > - Integrate in the standard kernel infrastructure : use C and loadable modules.
> >
> > The time has come for some performance measurements of the Linux Kernel Markers,
> > which follows. I attach a PDF with tables and charts which condense these
> > results.
>
> Has anyone done any performance measurements with the "regular function
> call replaced by a NOP" type of marker?

Here it is (on the same setup as the other tests : Pentium 4, 3 GHz) :

* Execute an empty loop

- Without marker
NR_LOOPS : 10000000
time delta (cycles): 15026497
cycles per loop : 1.50

- With 5 NOPs
NR_LOOPS : 100000
time delta (cycles): 300157
cycles per loop : 3.00
added cycles per loop for nops : 3.00-1.50 = 1.50

* Execute a loop of memcpy 4096 bytes

- Without marker
NR_LOOPS : 10000
time delta (cycles): 12981555
cycles per loop : 1298.16

- With 5 NOPs
NR_LOOPS : 10000
time delta (cycles): 12983925
cycles per loop : 1298.39
added cycles per loop for nops : 0.23

If we compare this approach to the jump-over-call markers (in cycles per loop) :

              NOPs    Jump over call generic    Jump over call optimized
empty loop    1.50    1.17                      2.50
memcpy        0.23    2.12                      0.07

Mathieu

OpenPGP public key:              http://krystal.dyndns.org:8080/key/compudj.gpg
Key fingerprint:     8CD5 52C3 8E3C 4140 715F  BA06 3F25 A8FE 3BAE 9A68